Sanity check...wye or santee for adding the vent to a new shower drain run

Users who are viewing this thread

Jadavis

Reaction score
First of all, fabulous forum and resource, thank you all for giving this long time lurker the confidence to tackle some light plumbing projects myself.

Apologies, as I know this has been discussed often, but I seem to get my mind twisted when I try to reconcile different threads, and it's likely due to me not having a full grasp of the lingo, but...I want to run a new 2" PVC drain in Illinois (IPC) for a shower (only the shower would be served).

Soon after the p-trap, I want to tie in a new 1-1/2" vent up thru a partition wall. For this, I need to use a 2" x 2" x 1-1/2" 45-Degree wye with a 1-1/2" 45 degree street elbow up for the vent, and I shouldn't put in a 2" x 2" x 1-1/2" santee "on its back" to save space, correct?

I've not measured yet, but perhaps someone off the top of their head can answer my second question. I want to use a shower kit with an "offset" drain, which is centered just 10" from the wall that I want to run the drain towards. Is that 10" going to be enough to fit both the trap and the vent fitting so that the vent can go up that wall? I've read that there needs to be run of at twice the diameter of the pipe (4 inches total) between the back end of the trap and the front end of whichever fitting I use in my first (above) question. It's going to be tight, at best. I may need to go to a center drain if I can't do this.

Any other problems or concerns I should be aware of?

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
IPC can use a tee on its back for a vent. I'll bet .45(cents) on it since I'm a UPC guy. Lol

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
I want to use a shower kit with an "offset" drain, which is centered just 10" from the wall that I want to run the drain towards. Is that 10" going to be enough to fit both the trap and the vent fitting so that the vent can go up that wall?

Since the u-bend doesn't have to point towards that wall, but could point to the side or even mostly backwards (just not straight backwards), the answer is definitely yes. If you also must point the u-bend at the wall, I don't know off the top of my head.

Looking at a Charlotte catalog, center to center on a 2" u-bend is 5". And the trap arm minimum length is 4". Plus 2" for the pipe inside diameter (since the minimum length on the trap arm is edge to edge, not center to center) makes 11" minimum center to center if you have to point the u-bend at the wall. No problem if your drain is centered 10" from the face of the wall, as you want the vent inside the wall. Plus in this case using an upright combo instead of a san-tee on its back would help you in that dimension, since the vent takeoff is farther downstream and moves back towards the trap before it ends up vertical, assuming you have the requisite height for that.

Cheers, Wayne

Jadavis

Reaction score
Thank you both for the responses. I went with a santee on its back due to vertical height restrictions (the run across the crawl/basement needed to start as high as possible to provide enough slope), and I will have plenty of room to tie in the trap for the shower drain once I get the sub floor replaced and the shower kit installed. Hopefully everything else is good on this end. For anyone wondering, the old copper drain lines run to an ejector pit in the basement, and I wanted to run a new PVC drain line across the crawl and the basement ceiling to tie in separately, and not subject the ejector pump to any more cycles than needed. I will cut away and cap off the old copper 2" drain for the shower. Please see the "bath.jpg" image.

I'd love any comments on the above, and to know if what I'm about to do on the other end of the line looks correct.

1646537971300.png

The 2" PVC pipe coming down at a 45 across the image is the other end of this new shower drain line I was discussing above. Nothing is glued yet on this end. I want to tie it in to the 2" PVC pipe the wye is resting on. This already in place 2" line I want to tie into is the output line of the ejector pit (an "overhead sewer"- to avoid backflow from a city side back up- a really cool and effective solution to our basement flooding problems of old). I thought including a 2 way cleanout at this end might be useful. There's about 35 feet of total run between the shower drain and the wye there at the other end. Anyone see any issues or concerns with this as proposed? Many thanks again, this forum rocks!

Attachments

• bath.jpg
    bath.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks