Sanity Check: Replacing a Residential Copper to PEX Manifold

Users who are viewing this thread

ben_r_

Reaction score
Got a job to do replacing a copper manifold for a residential cold water supply. Manifold has 22 outlets (only 16 are used) with a 1" PEX-A line feeding it and 1/2" PEX-A lines coming out all using expansion fittings. It looks like one of the sweat joints failed on the manifold and apparently it's been a very slow dripping leak for months.

I'm guessing this 22 outlet manifold was a custom job ordered in bulk by the home builder and was sized for the largest home models in this development, so finding something off the shelf for a direct replacement doesn't seem to be an option. I suppose I could cut all the lines and attempt to re-sweat the copper joint that failed and then reattach them, but I'd kinda rather avoid having to sweat joints if I don't have to and replace with new parts.

Got a plan of attack here but I just thought I'd try out putting it out into the interwebs and see what people come back with in case I missed something in my attempt at a solution.

I am planning on replacing the single 22 port manifold with two 8 port manifolds since only 16 ports are used.
The replacement line would come from the 1" PEX-A main feed into this 1" ball valve (LINK), through a few inches of 1" PEX-A, into this pass-through copper Sioux Chief 1" to 1/2" 8 outlet manifold (LINK), though a few more inches of PEX-A and finally into this spun closed copper Sioux Chief 1" to 1/2" 8 outlet manifold (LINK).

Anyone have any thoughts/advice on that approach?

IMG_1483_small.jpg IMG_1484_small.jpg

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Ben your using expander on the ballvalve and crimps on the manifolds Dont know if thats your plan but thats the parts you spec. ?

ben_r_

Reaction score
Ben your using expander on the ballvalve and crimps on the manifolds Dont know if thats your plan but thats the parts you spec. ?
Ah, I see that now. Sioux Chief lists those particular manifolds as FS1807 standard which is a crimp joint.
I'm going to need manifolds that are compatible with the F1960 standard which is the cold expansion fitting with PEX rings. Got it.

So that being the case, I guess I'm going to have to do some sweat joints after all as the F1960 manifolds all have sweat jointed ends.

Looks like this pass-through copper Sioux Chief 1" to 1/2" 8 outlet manifold (LINK) and this closed copper Sioux Chief 1" to 1/2" 8 outlet manifold (LINK) are what I need. Considerably more expensive but they do come with ball valves on each outlet so that's nice.

It does look like they make a 16 outlet F1960 standard manifold (page 120 of their catalog LINK, item 672WV1644) but I cant find it listed anywhere as its new so it doesn't look available.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Ah, I see that now. Sioux Chief lists those particular manifolds as FS1807 standard which is a crimp joint.
I'm going to need manifolds that are compatible with the F1960 standard which is the cold expansion fitting with PEX rings. Got it.

So that being the case, I guess I'm going to have to do some sweat joints after all as the F1960 manifolds all have sweat jointed ends.

Looks like this pass-through copper Sioux Chief 1" to 1/2" 8 outlet manifold (LINK) and this closed copper Sioux Chief 1" to 1/2" 8 outlet manifold (LINK) are what I need. Considerably more expensive but they do come with ball valves on each outlet so that's nice.

It does look like they make a 16 outlet F1960 standard manifold (page 120 of their catalog LINK, item 672WV1644) but I cant find it listed anywhere as its new so it doesn't look available.

Ok just be careful what you order 2 8 ports will work fine just make sure its what you want

ben_r_

Reaction score

Reach4

Reaction score
I wonder if you could remove the PEX capped taps and nearby used taps, saw off the bad part, and cap the sawed end. You would have to blow out the water before soldering, and you would need high fast heat. Oxy-acetylene ? Heat shield of course. Just musing. No experience.

Varient: saw out the bad section, and solder a coupler into place.

ben_r_

Reaction score
I wonder if you could remove the PEX capped taps and nearby used taps, saw off the bad part, and cap the sawed end. You would have to blow out the water before soldering, and you would need high fast heat. Oxy-acetylene ? Heat shield of course. Just musing. No experience.

Varient: saw out the bad section, and solder a coupler into place.
You mean try and re-sweat the joint with the PEX lines still attached? I thought about that for a moment, but figured there was no way with the tools Ive got access to that it could be done without melting the other PEX connections. Those outlets are only about 1.25" on center apart.

Attachments

• IMG_1491_small.jpg
    IMG_1491_small.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 305

Reach4

Reaction score
I was thinking of clipping many off before applying heat. Cut through the rings, heat, and pull off the PEX.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Hmmm... What are you thinking? Should I hold off and try and find the 16 port?
No Im just talking about getting manifolds that match your desired system Expander vs crimp or clamp your choice just order accordingly Dont want to confuse you . You seem on course!

ben_r_

Reaction score
No Im just talking about getting manifolds that match your desired system Expander vs crimp or clamp your choice just order accordingly Dont want to confuse you . You seem on course!
Gotcha!

Where I am a little confused is selecting the proper adapter to sweat onto the ends of these copper manifolds to connect to the 1" PEX lines via the expansion joints. I'm thinking these are what I want (LINK)? Those look to be sized to slip over the reduced ends of the manifolds I'm looking at.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
If your using the expander with the pex rings like the original then you dont want crimp or clamp, you want pro pex

Reach4

Reaction score
Where I am a little confused is selecting the proper adapter to sweat onto the ends of these copper manifolds to connect to the 1" PEX lines via the expansion joints. I'm thinking these are what I want (LINK)? Those look to be sized to slip over the reduced ends of the manifolds I'm looking at.
That adapter is made to go on a 1-inch pipe or equiv.

That adapter appears to match the links in #4, but not #1. So I guess #4 are the ones you are looking at.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks