Sanity check on basement bathroom plumbing and venting

Users who are viewing this thread

Beau Neal

Reaction score
I'm finishing my basement and it's time to do the plumbing in the bathroom. I think I've sorted out all of the venting correctly, but would love a second opinion:

Green - proposed new lines
Red - Lines I'm going to be removing
Black - existing plumbing I'll have to find

Proposed-basement-plumbing.jpg

One other question regarding the new sink on the other side of the wall. The other side will be a bar/kitchen area. I think I will be putting a sink right against the wall, but there is a possibility that I will put the sink in the bar itself. If so, I think I'd just extend the pipe around the corner (not shown) to where it needs to go - and install a studor vent. Any concerns there?

Thanks for your help.

Beau Neal

Reaction score
I'd use 2" dwv for all under concrete pipe that needs to be installed, up to where the sink drains split off. The vent pipe in only 1.5" and I'd stick with that above the sink drains.

Stuff

Reaction score
There was another similar thread recently. The bar sink probably isn't allowed to dump into the shower's horizontal wet vent as it is not part of the bathroom group.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
I'm not seeing the purpose of the pipe in red on the right side.

Edit- just re-read that you are removing that, so - never mind.

Stuff

Reaction score
I'm guessing the right was to be a tub vent as there is access in the floor?

Bar sink is good but the updated drawing has part of the shower's vent being horizontal and dry below the flood rim. Even the vent behind the toilet is questionable.

Beau Neal

Reaction score
I'm guessing the right was to be a tub vent as there is access in the floor?

Bar sink is good but the updated drawing has part of the shower's vent being horizontal and dry below the flood rim. Even the vent behind the toilet is questionable.

Yes, I will be removing the old shower pipes in red on the right of the picture and installing the sink drain - hopefully able to tie into the existing pipe there. I'm assuming the toilet is vented behind it and I don't plan on touching it unless I need to. I'll be removing the original sink drain (the red box on the left) and make the pipe straight to use as a vent for the new shower. Is that what you meant by the horizontal pipe below the flood rim? Is the new shower drain okay to tie into the old sink drain/vent (also removing the old sink drain line stub)?

(My color code is as follows:
Green - proposed new lines
Red - Lines I'm going to be removing
Black - existing plumbing I'll have to find)

Once I get a breaker and get under the concrete I'll know for sure how everything is connected, but I want to make sure my plan in sound before I do that and rent a breaker for the day.

Thanks for all the help.

Stuff

Reaction score
The pipe under the floor between the wall and the tee for the shower would end up being a dry vent and is not normally allowed. Too much chance of sludge backing up and then never getting flushed out.

Beau Neal

Reaction score
The pipe under the floor between the wall and the tee for the shower would end up being a dry vent and is not normally allowed. Too much chance of sludge backing up and then never getting flushed out.

Ahh, thanks makes sense, thanks. Would it be okay as long as I do something like this (come off the top of the pipe)? Same issue in the case of a backup. What other options do I have?

bathroom plumbing vent - Google Search 2019-05-25 23-30-38.png

Last edited:

Stuff

Reaction score
You could loop the shower drain to the wall and tie in a vent there. Combine with bar sink drain and head back over to the main.

Need someone with more experienced to chime in for other options.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
The vent for the shower must come up vertically using a wye and a 45 or a combo fitting. If your shower has a framed wall it will be easier to put it in there than to reroute the whole line. The drain must be routed so that the vent is not further than 8 feet of the trap. The shower and any other line under the slab must be 2” or larger.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
That works.
Make sure to pitch the horizontal vent just like a drain, keeping it all no less than 42" above the floor.

James Henry

In the Trades
Reaction score
I would have tied the toilet drain with a wye down stream of the shower and you might want to put a clean out under the double vanity. You'll have trouble snaking it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks