Sanitizing new plumbing work on well system

Users who are viewing this thread

Edward1

Reaction score
I am going to replace my old Wellmate pressure tank with a new Wellmate tank and replace some of the old pipes. Most of my pipes are cpvc and plan on using the same kind for the repair. Should I sanitize the tank and new pipe work and if so how? My well water has been tested and the results indicated that the water is safe for human consumption. I am concerned that I could contaminate my well. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Reach4

Reaction score
How long have you had that well? Most people think that doing a shock chlorination every 1 or 2 years is good, but others disagree.

If you decide to do well shocking, then sanitizing the tank and pipes would be part of that. If you have iron staining or sulfur compound symptoms, I would sanitize the well along with the rest of the plumbing. If you have had that well for 10 years without iron or sulfur symptoms, maybe well shocking is not right for you. If this well is new to you, I would tend toward disinfection. Before acting on this, wait for some contrary/further discussions.

http://www.moravecwaterwells.com/disin_test.htm is more involved than most people use, but it is what I am looking to do when it warms up.

Edward1

Reaction score
Just bought the house less then a year ago and have had no major problems with water quality besides a low ph of 6.1. With the house being 25 years old and only having a 5 micron filter on the water system I consider this setup fine. No iron staining or sulfur. The well pump was installed in 2001 and is still going strong.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
We always put a chlorine pellet in the poly pipe just before the check valve. As the pellet dissolves it chlorinates the tank and fittings.

Whenever you change the filter element, you should put a capful of chlorine/Clorox in the filter housing.

Edward1

Reaction score
We always put a chlorine pellet in the poly pipe just before the check valve. As the pellet dissolves it chlorinates the tank and fittings.

Whenever you change the filter element, you should put a capful of chlorine/Clorox in the filter housing.

This is a great tip. I will try this, will the chlorine hurt my new Aqua-Pure 5 micron filter element? Also, would you recommend not using any water for a few hours after refilling the system?

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
The chlorine won't hurt the filter, it just kills whatever bacteria might be transferred onto the filter.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks