Sanitize Pipes.. Please check my procedure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Charlie Bosco

Reaction score
So now that I finally have my water under control (High H2S) Its perfect coming out of my treatment. Katalox to Carbon to water Softener to house. My test ports confirm perfect water coming after carbon filter.

The pipes were so polluted for years before we moved in. Even with the clean water for the past 6-7 months.. the cold water pipes that get used the least build up a light smell when turned after sitting for a day.. If I run them with the aerator removed for 5 minutes of full blast.. they run clean smelling for a while. This I am certain is from the sulfur buildup in the pipes still leaching out..

I want to shock my plumbing with chlorine pellets.. The same pellets I use occasionally in the KL filter. My plan is as follows..

Fill the empty filter housing in my Signature Photo with the Chlorine tabs.
Set the KL, Carbon and Water Softener to Bypass.
Run all the faucets till I smell chlorine and then let them sit for a half hour to an hour.
Set the KL and Carbon back to Service and clear the lines until no more Chlorine smell and lastly set the Water Softener back to service.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
The chorine tabs may take too long to dissolve for your treatment plan. Liquid chorine should work. FYI. House hold bleach is anywhere from 5-7% sodium hyper chloride and may have fragrance added. Pool chlorine is 10% sodium hyper chloride.

I would run the water too flush out the pipes before the treatment appliances are switched back to service. What type of pipe is in your home? Shut the water heater off and close the valve to the water heater. It can take days to flush out the chlorine in the WH.

Read this article to get an insight on how much chlorine to use. You don't want high concentrations and it can take a lot of water to flush out the chlorine and damage pipe.
https://blog.campingworld.com/rv-basics/sanitize-your-rvs-freshwater-system-in-5-simple-steps/

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Can you run an acid cleaning first? Even a simple vinegar cleaning would be a good idea prior to sanitizing.

Charlie Bosco

Reaction score
Can you run an acid cleaning first? Even a simple vinegar cleaning would be a good idea prior to sanitizing.
I don't see any way to get enough in the pipes to do that.. also hoping since the pipes have been fed super soft water (0 on my hatch kit) for the past 6-7months it should have already started to eat its way through the deposits.

The only reason the chlorine Tabs is easy is they dissolve inside the housing sending a concentrated blast. I dont plan to run any of it through the water heater as someone pointed out. There may be tiny leakage but If I dont turn on the hot nothing should enter the heater.

The shower and washing machine have long periods of water flowing through them. I have not smelled anything from them. Its mostly the 2 bathroom colds and occasionally the kitchen sink cold.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks