Sanitary TEE with Side Inlet Against Code?

Users who are viewing this thread

apcolor

Reaction score
I plan to install a new toilet with a 4" drain and tub with a 2" drain. I wish to connect both to a 4" stack. Is it alright to use a 4" Sanitary TEE pipe fitting with a 2" Side Inlet for both drain pipes? Or, am I better off using a separate 4" Sanitary TEE and add a 2" Sanitary TEE above it?

I heard that use of a Sanitary TEE with a Side Inlet is against code. Is this true?

Kristi

Tradesman Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.prettyplumbing.com
Depends on where you live and what your codes are about. If i'm following you correctly, you're talking about a 4" tee which has a 2" outlet at a 90 degree right angle from the 4" tee outlet. Here in Vancouver we call that an apartment tee, and people use them here... but i personally have not ever installed one in my time. I prefer to keep my toilet drainage nice and downstream from my tub/showers :) - a little separation of the two is always going to be a better way to go...

~k~

Last edited:

apcolor

Reaction score
Sanitary TEE with Side Inlet Against Code? Reply to Thread

Yes, the 2" Outlet is at a 90 degree angle and to the side of the 4" Outlet.

Cajun-insp

Reaction score
It does depend on where you live and what your codes are. In the State of Louisiana the are prohibited, but if your state uses the International Plumbing Code your good to go. I would still question if it was a good idea.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks