Sanitary tee in horizontal position for vent to drain transition?

Users who are viewing this thread

Brandon Weiss

Reaction score
Hey! So I know you never put a sanitary tee in a horizontal position to transition from a vertical drain to a horizontal drain. But what I’m unclear on is whether you can use one to go from a vertical vent to a horizontal drain.

Anecdotally, in diagrams I’ve seen both wyes and sanitary tees in a horizontal position. And I can find comments where people will say it’s not allowed in their jurisdiction, and others where they say it is allowed in their jurisdiction. So it seems like if it is allowed it might be jurisdiction-dependent, but I can’t seem to find the spot in the code book that tells you if it is or not.

Can someone point me in the right direction? Thanks!

Mr tee

In the Trades
Reaction score
It does depend on what code you are under. Baring local variations, knowing what state you are in may make an answer possible because it would indicate the applicable code.

Kreemoweet

In the Trades
Reaction score
Regardless of what the UPC says, it is allowed in some jurisdictions as a practical matter, because that UPC
rule is nonsense.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks