Saniflo Rough In - Water shooting out of sink drains?

Users who are viewing this thread

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
First. That is NOT a Saniflo.

Its hooked up to too small of a drain which should be in the installation instructions. Since its a pump, it should be pumped to wherever it can connect to the proper sized drain and typically downstream of other gravity connections where possible. Whatever Drainage Fixture Unit(DFU) equivalent that pump is pumping at is the size of drain it should be connected to.

PS. The rest of the drains are not sized correctly for 1.5" drains either since only 2 DFU are allowed on Vertical and only 1DFU on horizontal.

RockinRobLee

Reaction score
First. That is NOT a Saniflo.

Its hooked up to too small of a drain which should be in the installation instructions. Since its a pump, it should be pumped to wherever it can connect to the proper sized drain and typically downstream of other gravity connections where possible. Whatever Drainage Fixture Unit(DFU) equivalent that pump is pumping at is the size of drain it should be connected to.

PS. The rest of the drains are not sized correctly for 1.5" drains either since only 2 DFU are allowed on Vertical and only 1DFU on horizontal.
zx

Last edited:

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
I think a real honest to goodness vent would help. I'm not familiar with what you're using there, but the air needs to be pushed out of the piping as water enters. With a pump, down the drain, isn't always the easiest path. That aav isn't good. Looks like it could get gunked up really easy. Then you'll have more poop on the walls.

RockinRobLee

Reaction score
I think a real honest to goodness vent would help. I'm not familiar with what you're using there, but the air needs to be pushed out of the piping as water enters. With a pump, down the drain, isn't always the easiest path. That aav isn't good. Looks like it could get gunked up really easy. Then you'll have more poop on the walls.
zx

Last edited:

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
but the air needs to be pushed out
Yes, this is true too. The waste that enters a sealed vessel displaces air inside that vessel that must go somewhere.

What that manual is showing is the flow chart of the pump. The higher the pump has to lift waste, the more work and the slower it pumps. I can't read the picture really well, but in order for the discharge to slow down to the point that 1.5" is the appropriate size, the discharge pipe must rise a specific height. Currently i has almost no restriction and is probably discharging at 4x the capacity of 1.5" pipe.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Poop on the walls is definitely NOT an option! lol thank you for the response.
We had a client where when the inspector found some existing pipe work asked that it be brought up to code. The homeowner asked why and i explained that it was to prevent poop from explosively exiting their kitchen sink and hitting the ceiling. The homeowner mentioned that it had happened once before... I was flabbergasted that they hadn't mentioned that at the beginning as something they wanted to remedy in the remodel.

RockinRobLee

Reaction score
We had a client where when the inspector found some existing pipe work asked that it be brought up to code. The homeowner asked why and i explained that it was to prevent poop from explosively exiting their kitchen sink and hitting the ceiling. The homeowner mentioned that it had happened once before... I was flabbergasted that they hadn't mentioned that at the beginning as something they wanted to remedy in the remodel.
zx

Last edited:

Weekend Handyman

Reaction score
I am not a plumber.

As an aside ... many brands of pex warn against exposing it to adhesives (looks like coloured electrical tape you are using to mark hot/cold).

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'm thinking more that the pump should be discharging downstream/after any other fixtures. The riser pipe can be of almost any diameter because its a pumped line.. and likely should remain a smaller diameter to prevent settling of solids. But rising up to a height that the pump discharge meets the rate at which the pipe can accept will help.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks