Sandpoint well depth

Users who are viewing this thread

minnesotaroofin

Reaction score
Website
minnesotaroofing.com
I have a couple quick questions - i Pounded in a 1 1/4 pipe over the weekend i drove it down until i hit water approx 8 feet then went another 8 ft -

1. is i put on a pitcher pump and pumped fast for about ten minutes at about 5 gals per minute the water is somewhat murky still and also has some colored film on the top of the water not much but some. Could this be from the pipe or pump should i have cleaned the inside first or what?

2. I can get a shallow well pump should i hook it up and let it run for a while and how long to clear out the brown murk?

3. What about the bleach? i read about 1 cup worth is this right for 8 ft of water in pipe? will this clean it up?

4. Any benifits of going deeper?

Sorry, 2 more than a couple. i spent quite some time pounding clay and boulders 3 points and an 8 ft hole dug with my skid loader triing to salvage last point. First 7 ft i wrecked the threds on the pounding cap had to pull 2 hrs -- 2nd went 15 ft broke point off started turning real easy pulled with my loader point gone pipe intact - 3rd went 15 ft pipe broke off 1 ft down dug out pulled pipe bent point - 4th went 15 ft broke pipe 4 ft down last point so i decided i would dig with my skid loader until i found it 4 hrs later with 10 yds or better of clay rock and boulder i found the end 1 ft above the water i could see it after i pulled the pipe down the hole. so i pounded the point and first pipe until i saw the coupler go under water in the hole took my compressor up to 130 psi plugged end of pipe with hose in it and let her rip a few times to hopefully clean the screen seemed to work i hooked up pitcher pump and pumped the heck out of it with no problems. Just looking for some input on what options are next.

Sorry for the long post some of you may find interest i Would assume using a sledge hammer was part of the cause of breaking the pipe at the couplers i did tighten ever 4 -5 whacks and it seemed to only bust under ground?

Masterpumpman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.dci-inc.us
The hard works done!

I have a couple quick questions -

2. I can get a shallow well pump should i hook it up and let it run for a while and how long to clear out the brown murk?

3. What about the bleach? i read about 1 cup worth is this right for 8 ft of water in pipe? will this clean it up?

4. Any benifits of going deeper?

QUOTE]

Just to be sure, if you are going to use this water for drinking, I'd mix about a quart of Bleach in 5 gallons of water then pour it all in the 1-1/4" pipe. Then hookup a jet pump (probably not more than a 3/4hp) and a tank. Prime the pump. Pump it until you smell the chlorine, then shut it off for at least 24 hours. Then pump it until it's clear and you can no longer smell the Bleach and you're done! Have the water tested by an approved Laboratory for Coliform Bacteria to be sure the water is safe to drink.

minnesotaroofin

Reaction score
Website
minnesotaroofing.com
Thanks for the input i did not find this site however until i already had the point in - i Did read the sticky on top wish i would have found this site before hand.

I am curious what the colored film was on top of the water if anyone here knows otherwise i will probably take a sample to a local well driller and see if that is common in newly made wells i am thinking either iron , or maybee some oil in the pipe or the 10 gallons of hydrolic fluid that leaked out of my loader 2 years ago about 100 feet away from where i put the well?

minnesotaroofin

Reaction score
Website
minnesotaroofing.com
Thanks!! If anyone needs info on roofing, siding or windows you can view my profile and website contact link - i will gladly advise - I do not know how the terms of posting links are on this site and prefer not to leave a email address into public.

The last question about deeper i know more supply obviously in times of drought -- but will goiing deeper equate to any better in quality of water? the other problem is there is a granite ridge at 25 ft - my thinking is if i get to close to that i would probably get worse from the sediment? no one in the area has been able to get through it -- others have went into it 90 ft or better but have kinda crappy water and not very good supply -

Speedbump

Reaction score
Give us another week or so until all three Hurricanes have passed through. I'm sure there will be lots of requests for info on Roofing then.

Going deeper is always a risk as to the quality of water. It's a crapshoot, unless someone is familiar with the area and has installed a bunch of wells and has a good handle on what kind of water is at the different depths. That guy would be your local Well Driller.

bob...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks