Sand point well placement

Users who are viewing this thread

Christian Gould

Reaction score
I am going to try for water with a sand point well in Sawyer County 6 miles SE of Hayward, Wisconsin. I read the previous posts about how to drive the well and those were very helpful.

In Wisconsin every well needs to be applied for and a permit issued before I can drive my own sand point well. The revised state standards (2020) are that the well needs to be located at the "highest elevation (within reason) of the parcel".

I am trying to figure out where to place the well on my land.

The 3 acres fall 50 feet in elevation to a natural spring over the course of the 600 feet of land. The highest point of the land is at the road, 600 feet in distance and 50 feet of elevation from the natural springs.

I plan on putting a cabin 200 feet in from the road, this would be 400 feet from the spring. The cabin location is 10 feet lower in elevation than the road, and 40 feet higher in elevation than the springs. Should I try for water where I want to put the cabin or should I move further down the slope closer to the natural springs keeping in mind that the state rules are that the well is located at the "highest elevation (within reason) of the parcel".

I am not sure if anyone will inspect the well, as the $50 permit can be bought at a gas station the same as a fishing license.

Any ideas where you would put the well?

Thanks!
Christian

Reach4

Reaction score
I would put the well on the uphill side of the house, maybe 20 to 50 feet out, and on the opposite side of the house from the septic field. I am not a pro.

Any thought of putting the water line below the frost line for year-round use?

Last edited:

Christian Gould

Reaction score
here is an elevation map of the parcel too.
I would put the well on the uphill side of the house, maybe 20 to 50 feet out, and on the opposite side of the house from the septic field. I am not a pro.

Any thought of putting the water line below the frost line for year-round use?

Upside of the house for better water pressure?
Do you think I will have trouble finding water with sand point?

Reach4

Reaction score
Upside of the house for better water pressure?
Contamination... * rolls downhill.

Do you think I will have trouble finding water with sand point?
Ask the neighbors. I had presumed that locals told you you would probably be OK.

If it doesn't work, consider a drilled well with a 5 inch PVC casing and a pitless adapter. Yes, big money, but not nearly as much as people pay when the water is far down.

AFAIK, driving a well point is a low cost thing, and if it works, it works.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks