Users who are viewing this thread

my log home

Reaction score
Hello ALL,
I am thinking about installing a sand point well to water my 1 acre garden. I have never done anything like this but have been doing some research on the subject so now i need some help figuring it all out.

I don't need much water pressure for this. I'm not planning on drinking the water. If I can just hook up enough soaker hoses to water the garden I would be happy.

I am looking at a 1-1/4" sand point tip with the same size pipe. I am in PURE sand as far down as i have dug on the property, about 8 foot. I have seen sites that talk about PVC piping compared to galvanized piping. Can I use PVC piping? It would seem that the PVC would crack or bend if I hit rock. And there is a LOT or rocks on the property, I bought the property with about 50 4' to 5' diameter boulders (2 even measure over 6' across) lined up on the side of the property. So I know I may have to drive it in several different places before I make it down to water without hitting rock.

I will be driving the point down with my tractor front end loader by putting a larger pipe over the 1-1/4" pipe and tapping it down with the loader. (I'm old n lazy)!!! The down side of the loader is not driven hydraulically it just releases the pressure from the cylinder so i don't think I will cause too much pressure on the pipe.

2 different properties I drive by have what looks like sand point wells (maybe artisan wells) sticking out of the ground with water constantly coming out of them, even in our cold Wisconsin winters. Just a pipe up about 3' up with a 90 degree fitting. Can this be possible with out a pump on them? Is it possible that the water has enough pressure to force its way up in such a manor? can the well produce water without a pump?

Any thoughts on what I am planning on doing? Do I have a good plan or am I an idiot???

Any input would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks

Dennis

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Yes it is common for artisan wells to just flow like that. You still usually have to put a pump in there to get any pressure and volume. PVC sand points don't sound like a good idea, especially in areas with rocks. If you already dug down 8' and didn't hit water, it maybe to deep for a point well. 24' is the max depth you can use a shallow well jet pump, and the more shallow the better.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks