San Tee vs 90 with low heel inlet?

Users who are viewing this thread

SLB

Reaction score
I intend to hook-up a relocated toilet drain (as part of a bathroom remodel) this weekend. I had intended to come off the flange with a 10" vertical drop into a long sweep 90, then horizontal for approximately 18" into a 3x3x2 san tee connecting to a 2" vent and then to the main 3" drain line. The local HD didn't carry 3x3x2 san tees, but did have a 3" 90 with 2" low heel inlet. This would seem to be able to function the same as a san tee. Can I use it to tie in the vent instead of a sanitary tee?

Regards,
Steve

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
On a second story, if the 2" side of the low heel is going up, and the 3" goes down, then yes.
If the fitting is going to be horizontal straight through and you are coming off the top for the vent, you would be using a 3x2 combo or 3x2 wye with a 2" 45.

Last edited:

SLB

Reaction score
Thanks Terry for the fast response! Sounds like I'm okay. The 2" is going up to the vent and the 3" down into a comb. wye.

Regards,
Steve

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
tee

IT would normally depend on the actual application. If this is on a second floor, then it would be acceptable. If on a lower level, then, in this area at least, you would have to extend the 3" through the floor, install a 3" cleanout in the pipe, and then reduce to 2". And the fitting in the horizontal pipe it connects to would have to be either a combination Y-1/8 bend, a Y and an 1/8 bend, or a long sweep 1/4 bend.

SLB

Reaction score
hj,
I'm actually going back with an ABS set-up that's virtually identical to a 35 year old cast iron set-up that I removed. The code could have changed since the house was built, I'll double check.

Thanks,
Steve

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks