San-tee in horizontal position (on side)

Users who are viewing this thread

IPDQKWID

Reaction score
Hi,
I am plumbing an addition with a laundry room, and am putting in a vent loop like I have seen depicted here many times. I've heard and read how sanitary tees shouldn't receive flow from above. But how about from the side? The image here has the standpipe to the left, and to the right in the next stud cavity is the drain with vent. The san-tee on its side will receive the trap arm from the laundry tub.
I really can't find any wording on san-tee's like that, basically a horizontal turn. Is that because that's a normal use? Or is a combo (long-turn) the only way to turn horizontal-to-horizontal?
Thank you.
Untitled_1.jpeg

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Horizontal to horizontal drain change of direction requires a long turn 90 or equivalent sweep. That means a combo, not a san-tee.

Looks like Minnesota is on the UPC, which requires that in drainage san-tees only be used with the straight path vertical. The side and bottom are drains, and the top can be either a vent take-off, or another drain.

That means for your laundry standpipe vent take-off, you need to use a combo, not a san-tee on its back. [The latter seems to be OK under the IPC.]

How are you venting the laundry tub?

Cheers, Wayne

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
OK, you need to vent the laundry tub drain before it joins with the washer standpipe drain.

That is most easily done inside the wall by having the wall inlet for the laundry tub above the washer standpipe horizontal drain. Then you can vent the laundry tub drain with a vertical combo, just as you need to use to vent the washer standpipe. Then you can use a 45 and a wye to join the two parallel horizontal drains. [And the spacing on the two inlets on that 45/wye configuration tells you the distance you need between the two horizontal drains.]

The two vents need to stay separate until a height that is at least 6" above the laundry tub and the washer standpipe.

Cheers, Wayne

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks