Samsung dishwasher leaking on right side of door

Users who are viewing this thread

TurboMan

Reaction score
Have a two year old dishwasher that just started leaking on the right side of the door. Also noticed water pooling in the bottom of it after a cycle. I tested the drain pump and it does run. Do not know how fast it is supposed to be but it sounded strong. When you start it up it is pulling water out of the pan to the point the outer black pan seal is no longer covered with water. This unit does not have a true filter but I did take out the impeller and clean the screen under it. Not much was there. I did verify that it is level both side to side and front to back.

Due to the location of the washer I had to use an extended length drain line - about 9ft.

When it runs it takes about 2 minutes and water starts dripping from the right side of the door. Open the door up and a small amount of water spills over the edge.

Questions I have are:
1) how much water should be left in the bottom of the pan when it is not running. See pic with horrible pen drawing outlining where the water line is
2) when the unit is running should there be standing water at the point where the door seal is? In other words is the seal supposed to be truly water proof. The seal does sit a little different on the right side vs the left side. Or does the door need to be adjusted? Can it be adjusted?
3) wondering if the extended length drain line has compromised the drain pump to where it is not pumping the volume it should.

Of course it is out of warranty. Regretting not buying the extended warranty.....

Thanks!

Attachments

• Dishwasher pen.jpg
    Dishwasher pen.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 143

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
I looked at my brand new Samsung and no water sits at the bottom after a complete cycle, however, my unit has a filter and screen and it looks different than yours. I don't think it's the door since the drip starts when draining. What is the model number? Look up parts and find an exploded view to see it there is a filter as Tuttle suggest. Where the two hoses connect is possibly it's leaking from there. If it is high above it could be dripping and the water just runs out as you see it.

TurboMan

Reaction score
FIXED! The leak ended up being the area where the door meets the tub. The alignment on the door was bad on the right side. Took the cover off the front door and the leak was very obvious. Used a center punch and hammer to bend a flange to tighten the gap. A small amount of water is supposed to pass by but ours had a lot more and it would splash over the edge of the tub in front.

sajesak

Reaction score
Have a two year old dishwasher that just started leaking on the right side of the door. Also noticed water pooling in the bottom of it after a cycle. I tested the drain pump and it does run. Do not know how fast it is supposed to be but it sounded strong. When you start it up it is pulling water out of the pan to the point the outer black pan seal is no longer covered with water. This unit does not have a true filter but I did take out the impeller and clean the screen under it. Not much was there. I did verify that it is level both side to side and front to back.

Due to the location of the washer I had to use an extended length drain line - about 9ft.

When it runs it takes about 2 minutes and water starts dripping from the right side of the door. Open the door up and a small amount of water spills over the edge.

Questions I have are:
1) how much water should be left in the bottom of the pan when it is not running. See pic with horrible pen drawing outlining where the water line is
2) when the unit is running should there be standing water at the point where the door seal is? In other words is the seal supposed to be truly water proof. The seal does sit a little different on the right side vs the left side. Or does the door need to be adjusted? Can it be adjusted?
3) wondering if the extended length drain line has compromised the drain pump to where it is not pumping the volume it should.

Of course it is out of warranty of Samsung DW80R9950US [15/120] Unsuitable items for the dishwasher. Regretting not buying the extended warranty.....

Thanks!
Regarding your dishwasher issues, here are the answers to your questions:

1. Normally, there shouldn't be any water left in the bottom of the pan when the dishwasher is not running. If you're seeing water pooling, it indicates a potential issue with the drainage system or a leak.
  2. During operation, there should not be standing water at the point where the door seal is. The seal is designed to prevent water from leaking out. The fact that you're experiencing water dripping from the right side of the door suggests a problem with the seal or door alignment. Adjusting the door might help, but consult the dishwasher's manual or contact the manufacturer for specific instructions on adjusting the door.
  3. Using an extended length drain line can sometimes compromise the drainage performance of the dishwasher. The increased distance and potential height difference can affect the pump's ability to remove water efficiently. Consider checking the installation manual or consulting the manufacturer to ensure the extended drain line is within the acceptable limits for your dishwasher model.
Since your dishwasher is out of warranty, you may want to consider contacting a professional appliance repair service for further diagnosis and assistance in resolving the leaking issue.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks