Salt taste after regen

Users who are viewing this thread

Kamisn

Reaction score
Hi All, I have a 4 years old softener with Clack 5 button pre programmed valve and 1.5 ft tank. For past couple of regenerations, the morning after the water taste salty and seems have more air than the normal aeration the tap does. I left the water running in both occasions for a minute or two and it’s all good after.

The valve program is 6 min backwash, 45 min regen, 3 min backwash, 3 min rinse, could the backwash cycles be too short not letting the salt be washed off? I changed the program to another preset that has 8 min backwash,45 min regen, 8 min backwash and 4 min rinse and will test it tonight. The nozzles and injectors are clean of any obstructions and drain line is flowing well.

I use salt and use pre regen brine settings

Could this be the valve itself that started having problem?

Thank you!

Reach4

Reaction score
Could be valve having a problem. If you want to work around this with settings, I would change
regen from 45 minute to 60 or more.

You may have a failed air check valve. If that, after the brine gets drawn, air gets sucked in. If you have a translucent brine line, you should be able to see the air as the brine reaches its lowest.

Kamisn

Reaction score
Could be valve having a problem. If you want to work around this with settings, I would change
regen from 45 minute to 60 or more.

You may have a failed air check valve. If that, after the brine gets drawn, air gets sucked in. If you have a translucent brine line, you should be able to see the air as the brine reaches its lowest.
Check valve seems to be ok as it shuts the brine off after reaches the bottom point. I will try the preset for 60 min brine tonight.

Bannerman

Reaction score
Check valve seems to be ok as it shuts the brine off after reaches the bottom point.
The Air Check Valve does not shut the brine off when the brine level reaches the bottom. Once the brine level drops to where air will be drawn into the brine pickup inlet, the Air Check Valve that is internal within the pickup tube will close to prevent air from being drawn in.

Sometimes, if the air check valve is not functioning correctly, air may be heard being drawn in at the bottom of the brine pickup inlet, but most often, nothing will be heard, but no liquid will be seen within the translucent brine tube which leads to the softener control valve.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks