Salt Setting on 5600 Econominder

Users who are viewing this thread

dmendiol

Reaction score
Finished installing a 64k Fleck 5600 Econominder. After reading the install instructions, I set the dial with water hardness (20) and people (6); however, the salt setting label on the cover mentions that it is set at 18lbs. I read a couple of posts and used Gary's calculator to locate the proper salt setting--i think it's approximately 18 lbs. The seller of the equipment mentioned that the salt dial is 3x, so 6x3=18. Is that correct or should I set the dial at 18?

Thanks,

David

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
The people dial is rarely used. How hard is your water (according to a real test, not a guess, or test strips), and how many people in the house?

Assuming it is 6 people, and 20 grains...

set the salt to 16 pounds, this will give you 48000 grains actual capacity. Please disregard the 64000 grain claimed capacity, this is not used, it is the maximum capacity of the system if we set it to waste massive amounts of salt.

48000 grains capacity / 20 grains hardness = 2400 gallons capacity. Minus a days water usage, 6 people x 60 gallons per person = 360 gallons

2400 gallons system capacity - 1 days water usage for reserve, - 360 gallons. The meter should be set to 2040 gallons. Or 2000 since it is an electromechanical metered system.

Check out this bulletin from Fleck to get a better understanding of the salt sticker and the Brine line flow control. http://www.pentairwatertreatment.co...reatment/Bulletins/395-Improved Brine Cam.pdf

Hope this helps!

Last edited:

dmendiol

Reaction score
The people dial is rarely used. How hard is your water (according to a real test, not a guess, or test strips), and how many people in the house?

Assuming it is 6 people, and 20 grains...

set the salt to 16 pounds, this will give you 48000 grains actual capacity. Please disregard the 64000 grain claimed capacity, this is not used, it is the maximum capacity of the system if we set it to waste massive amounts of salt.

48000 grains capacity / 20 grains hardness = 2400 gallons capacity. Minus a days water usage, 6 people x 60 gallons per person = 360 gallons

2400 gallons system capacity - 1 days water usage for reserve, - 360 gallons. The meter should be set to 2040 gallons. Or 2000 since it is an electromechanical metered system.

Check out this bulletin from Fleck to get a better understanding of the salt sticker and the Brine line flow control. http://www.pentairwatertreatment.co...reatment/Bulletins/395-Improved Brine Cam.pdf

Hope this helps!

Dittohead,

Thanks for the information. And yes, those are the correct numbers according to a water analysis. So, does this mean that I should set the salt dosage is set at 18 lbs behind the valve housing? Was the sales associate incorrect about the salt dosage being 3x the indicator (pointer)? Also, do I move the program wheel to set it at 20 and line it up with white dot? I set it at 18 lbs last night, did a manual regen, and the system sucked up some salt. How long does it usually take before feeling the "soft" water?

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
If the salesman said it is 3X, that might mean the sticker and BLFC dont match. Put the system into brine refill and measure the flow rate going to the brine tank. Remove the tube from the brine tank and measure the flow in a gallon bucket or whatever you prefer. The flow rate will either be .125, .25, .5, or 1 GPM. The most common is .25 and .5 GPM. The bulletin http://www.pentairwatertreatment.com...rine%20Cam.pdf will tell you which button and sticker go together. If they dont match, then yes, some math may be needed but this is improper and the company that sold the unit should provide you with the correct sticker to match the flow controller.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks