RV Plastic sink, new SS basket strainer

Users who are viewing this thread

dmac

Reaction score
I have an RV. The RV kitchen has a double plastic sink of unknown material (it's translucent plastic, thin, and probably the cheapest low-bid available). I need to replace the current sink basket strainers (which are bar sink size).

The old pot metal basket strainers are sealed with butyl putty. Butyl is a good sealing material for many RV applications, as it remains sticky and soft. And when used under basket strainers, it continues to ooze out and make a mess; the loss of the butyl that squeezes out from the joint eventually causes the joint to leak.

I have two new stainless steel basket strainers. What sealant do I need to use between the underside of the basket strainer lip and the inside surface of the plastic sink?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I've been using stainless putty.
Silicone can also be used, though fairly permante. I find that basket strainers loose their finish long before they "need" replacing.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks