Rusty water on new well?

Users who are viewing this thread

ZombieBeaver

Reaction score
I have a well about 4 months old and the water pumped from the well varies from somewhat rusty to very rusty looking. Casing is steel and 80 ft deep. Static level is 0 ft so all 80 ft of the casing is exposed to water most of the time, which also has a pH of about 5.5.

Is it normal to have rusty water for a period of time until the casing rust hardens up? How long does this take?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
The low pH is not good with steel pipe, as it may always show some rusty color. But have you developed the well? New wells need to be pumped hard for long periods of time to clear up the drill cuttings and develop the well properly.

ZombieBeaver

Reaction score
Many thousands of gallons have already been drawn out of the well since being drilled, however I can't say we necessarily did a hard pump down at substantial flow rate for an extended period. It was really more than natural steady artesian flow out of the well. Since the well has decent recovery and is completely filled to the top (flowing artesian) I suppose it can't hurt the pump it down pretty heartily. It was running clear for the first month or so but now the rust is starting to show more.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks