Rusty water in morning

Users who are viewing this thread

Rman

Master mechanic
Reaction score
My drilled well is 78 feet done about 50 yrs ago. Problem is very rusty water with first use daily need to run hose about 15 min to clear up. Well is in northern NJ yields 20 gpm. I've got a big blue prefilter then a katalax filter then a water softener and still I can taste a metallic in drinking water. The prefilter is brown in about a week. Drilling a new well is impossible I'm lakefront and can't get a rig to the backyard. Can I try a rust remover product down the well then flush till clear or will this keep repeating? Thanks

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
You might have the well blown out with a big compressor. That will clean it out like a new dollar bill. But anytime you clean up steel casing it will just start rusting again. With the well cleaned it may take a while before it gets bad again, but it is just a matter of time with steel casing.

Reach4

Reaction score
If you drain water from the spiggot before the BB, does rust settle out in a glass in a minute? http://twistiiclean.com/ might make a better first filter. Then KL. Then BB.

Or maybe just KL then BB. The KL acts as a sediment filter too.

How often does your KL filter backwash?Do you notice a difference on the mornings after a backwash? I wonder if a longer backwash would help.

What size is the KL tank? How many GPM is the pump, 9 GPM? How many wells do you have? I see postings for three.

I would consider well cleaning. Check Youtube. Big compressor is fast. Air lift pump is slow, but uses a much smaller compressor.

I would also sanitize my system after doing work on the system. The first line of https://terrylove.com/forums/index....izing-extra-attention-to-4-inch-casing.65845/ has a link to a nice sanitizing article, but then I go into my possibly-overkill extension.

I am not a pro.

Last edited:

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Big compressor will blow the rust off the casing and out of the well. Air lift with a little compressor would only clean a little off the bottom of the well and not help with rusty casing.

Rman

Master mechanic
Reaction score
Reply to reach4 the well pump is 10gpm. The kk tank I installed feb 2016 its 39 inch tank backwash every 3days
During the construction of my house in 2015 I had a well driller bring his rig and blew out the well a lot of crap came out but cleared up and ran for over an hour of clear water est 20 gpm. The capacity made me happy and did not drill for deeper water. The rusty water does not settle out in a glass. Only well on the small property. With house built no way to drill another well. New pump and pipe installed last year. Nothing reused from old cabin that was demoed
Thanks

Reach4

Reaction score
With no settling, I guess the TwistIIClean would not help.

How big is your tank? What is your backwash (DLFC) rate? How warm is your backwash water? (Is this your cabin in Florida, or a cabin in northern Maine?) The concern is that your backwash may not be enough. Also, the BB filter before the KL could slow down the backwash potentially. I don't have a theory about your symptom only occurring the first draw of the morning.

How often does your KL filter backwash?Do you notice a difference on the mornings after a backwash?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks