Rusty toilet flange repair

Users who are viewing this thread

wetdog

Reaction score
Hello,
I'm installing a new toilet and the existing flange is in disrepair. The existing flange is PVC or ABS with attached metal ring which cannot be removed without great difficulty. Can I place the Oatey repair ring over the existing flange and then drill new screws to secure the repair ring. This would raise above floor grade and raise the flange to about 5/8 inch above the floor. Any recommendations would be appreciated. This is my first time looking at a flange....thanks!

20200915_131035.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You can cut the old one and remove it. The new one could fit back in the slot by cutting it once, which allows you to spread it just enough to fit it in there.

Or a ring over it like this type.

quick-ring-terrylove-1.jpg

Is the old ring showing rust, or is it like gone?
Looking at the underside of the bowl you have, how much space are you working with?

red-ring-repair-love-2.jpg

hammer-drive-anchor-01.jpg

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
This would raise above floor grade and raise the flange to about 5/8 inch above the floor. Any recommendations would be appreciated. This is my first time looking at a flange....thanks!
You can use that unsplit ring you have. No problem putting it on top. If you can remove the old metal, you could use a split ring,
Oatey 42777 Moss Bay is a split repair ring. Split repair rings can go under plastic edge after the old metal is removed. Seems to be galvanized, even tho some say stainless. I don't think that is an advantage in this case vs unsplit.

If that is porcelain tile, I would avoid having to drill the tile. Note that the repair ring has holes in the ears, but it also has holes in the ring part. You could let the ears set on top of the tile, and use the more interior holes to hold the repair ring in position.

Last edited:

wetdog

Reaction score
The existing ring is partially gone, only one of the bolt slots is functional. Based on my research and limited experience, the red ring looks like the best solution but I didn't find one at my local hardware store. The oatley steel ring, part #42778 as pictured, does the same but will require driving new screws down through existing flange. That seems like it will work and would raise the flange to height of 5/8" above the existing linoleum floor. I might check another store for the red repair ring or just go with the oatley and drive stainless screws to secure over the rusted flange.
Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions!

Reach4

Reaction score
PASCO 21013 is red
Superior Model # 21015 is similar in black.
Jones Stephens C85000 is similar in blue.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks