Rusty orange water coming from my well

Users who are viewing this thread

good2hook

Reaction score
Hello guys, i'm new here, and i've got an issue im hoping you guys could steer me in the right direction, here goes:
The last few months when washing our clothes, the cold water going into the washer smelled horrible, leaving our clothes smelling like damp smelly egg and lately we can see rust stains when we washed our whites, fast forward to yesterday, i was using the garden hose outside quite a bit with no issues, later on that night we ran cold water to begin a shower and it was dark orange with fine black colored sand like particles. its' definitely the well water because our toilet is like brown rusty water as well.
Is my well junk? Is it the holding tank? I've got 2 black pvc pipes coming from outside, going into a 1/2hp pump that sits on a blue holding tank. No filtration system. This is our first year in the home, and we had issues when we first moved in, we thought because the home hadn't been lived in in awhile, that it was just water sitting in the pipes for so long. we thought it was normal. After running it for a good long while, the water was clear, but it always had this unpleasant odor. I had a tree trunk ripped out in front of my yard, and from my plans on the lot site it seemed pretty close tho where the well is, but the tree trunk was yanked out about a month ago. Could it be that? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Can i use the water to shower, wash dishes? I'm not going to use it to cook with, and more than likely not going to shower with it. Again thanks in advance for the help.

Masterpumpman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.dci-inc.us
It sounds to me like the rotten egg smell is sulfur coming from the well. Run the waster for 5 minutes then catch a sample in a bottle and take it immediately to a water conditioner sales and have them test it for sulfur. Be sure the bottle it full with no air space and the lab (or water conditioner sales) recieves and tests it immediately. Sulfur is a gas and if allowed to the open air will disipate. If the sulpur isn't to bad it can usually be filtered by adding chlorine and a charcol water conditioner that will remove the residue.

jimtum

AAW
Reaction score
You may have both iron, the orange rust stains and sulphur. Like porky said, have your water tested. You will probably have to test the water at the house to get a good test for the sulphur but may be able to get it to someone before the sulphur gas escapes or oxidizes. It also may be iron bacteria which will smell like rotten eggs. Have the water tested first and if you need help email me or call and I will see if I can give you some direction. 940 389-4305

Miller

Reaction score
good2hook - How were you able to fix this problem? My husband and I are experiencing the same problems and are running out of ideas and hope. Thanks!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks