Rusty Brown water?

Users who are viewing this thread

willbill44

Reaction score
Recently we replaced a tub/shower valve in my thirty year old home.
I broke one of the connections trying to rebuild the control valve. I called a licensed plumber to minimize the down time with the water turned off.
The plumber had a inexpensive single handle set on his truck.
He used pex fittings to tie into the homes' copper pipes.

The whole thing works fine, However, in a short time we started getting rusty, brown water when the faucet is first turned on. After the first few seconds the water is clear as ever. Most important fact....no other faucet produces this type of water.

Is it the fittings?
Would appreciate if this problem has occurred and what is necessary to correct.

Herk

Plumber
Reaction score
Whenever you disturb old galvanized pipe, you break loose a lot of rust and buildup. There may be a chunk of it in the pipe that's disintegrating slowly. Either it will eventually clear up so it's no longer noticeable, or it will plug something.

WestcoastPlumber

Plumbing Contractor
Reaction score
Website
www.wcplumbing.biz
Sounds like you may have galv to the tub spout or shower riser.

You may have disturbed a buildup in your water meter or shut off valve on the main water supply.

Anyway you can take pictures of the new install? Did you notice this brown water right away? or did it come later?

You said they tied the pex to the copper, so this makes me assume the rust is coming from the water heater, isolation valve or another source.

what brand of valve did he install??

willbill44

Reaction score
Additional info on tub valve change out and brown water.

My house has copper pipes only. The plummer installed a Delta tub/shower valve. He used pex (white plastic pipe) to tie in to the house piping and transition to the the valve. The fittings may have been brass. Its behind the wall so I can not take a picture at this time. We had the house on the market at the time so we were in a rush to get everything repaired quickly. I have notified the plummer of this problem but he has not responded. There is no galvanized pipe used.
No other locations have this brown stained water.
Will:

WestcoastPlumber

Plumbing Contractor
Reaction score
Website
www.wcplumbing.biz
My house has copper pipes only. The plummer installed a Delta tub/shower valve. He used pex (white plastic pipe) to tie in to the house piping and transition to the the valve. The fittings may have been brass. Its behind the wall so I can not take a picture at this time. We had the house on the market at the time so we were in a rush to get everything repaired quickly. I have notified the plummer of this problem but he has not responded. There is no galvanized pipe used.
No other locations have this brown stained water.
Will:

Dealta is an all brass valve and I have never had any complaints about rust coming from the valve.

If the whole house is copper and there is pex for the shower valve install, and the shower head and tub risers are pex or copper, and the tub spout nipple is brass or copper, then you would not be gettting rust from this fixture.

Is it the first fixture closest to the water heater? Maybe rusty nipples coming out of the water heater and you only noticed it cause you had the shower valve installed and it caught your eye??

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks