Rusting tank bolts on toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
When you have a standard two-piece toilet, one of the repairs that may be needed is to replace rusting tank to bowl bolts. Some brands, like to use a bolt that will rust out fairly soon. These pictures are from some Crane toilets that we removed. The one bowl showing rust had completly severed, and the tank was just resting on the bowl. When we went to pick it up, the tank fell off.
The home was built in 2000.

tank_bolts_rusted_1.jpg

Here you can see rust that has formed on top of the bolts.

tank_bolts_rusted_2.jpg

This is the bowl where the bolts had rusted through.

tank_bolts_rusted_3.jpg

These had not rusted all the way through yet, but you can see the bolts are not made from brass.

tank_bolts_rusted_4.jpg

And here is one headed to the recycle to me crushed and made into road surface.

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
Give 'em hell, Terry. Is there any huge price difference in providing brass bolts rather than steel? The bean-counters stick it to everyone again.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Nasty rusty bolts. Terry makes an excellent point, echoed several years ago by one of our professional plumber members who says that when he installs a toilet he always tosses the tank-to-bowl hardware that comes with it and instead uses a Wolverine Brass set, all brass with a big bolt head and nice heavy brass washers. Once it's in, he isn't going to have to come back. As we say repeatedly on here, you also want two brass washers, two rubber washers, and two nuts for each bolt, so you can double-nut the thing. Wolverine Brass only sells to plumbers, but you can find similar sets out there. To give you an idea, here's a photo of a good (if expensive) LASCO set [Model: 04-3675] that will set you back about $15, and I have linked to the manufacturer's product page below. There are doubtless less-expensive but high-quality sets out there.

http://www.lasco.net/index.php?main_page=popup_image&pID=6234

http://www.lasco.net/tank-bolts-c-2937_323_373/38-brass-close-coupled-bolts-p-6234.html#.VALmmfldVXp

Last edited:

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
I have a toilet with Rusted Bolt problems.

I could not remove them to install new ones.

Why they did not at least use Stainless bolts seems a bit silly to me.

fluidmaster-bolts-package.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
I have a toilet with Rusted Bolt problems.

I could not remove them to install new ones.

Why they did not at least use Stainless bolts seems a bit silly to me.

fluidmaster-bolts-package.gif

Rusted bolts? don't try to remove them, cut the off instead (w/hacksaw - but don't damage the ceramic).

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I would not use plastic as they tend to get brittle when they age, and could catastrophically fail...they are under some tension in order to be able to create the seal. Brass or SS is the only way to go IMHO.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
That's right, you never use plastic bolts or brass plated bolts on tank-to-bowl. Use only brass bolts.

For the toilet seat, plastic bolts are fine.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
As an automobile magazine editor said many years ago when bumper jacks were common, "the only reason they are using fifty cent jacks is because they ran out of 25 cent ones". In other words, regardless of how little the difference between good and bad, when you spread it over a production run of many thousands, it becomes an issue.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
tank-bolts-rust.jpg

This is quite a bit of rust on top of the bolt. Ever wonder why you have rust streaks going down the bowl?

tank-bolts-new.jpg

And looking a little better.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
rusted-tank-bolts.jpg

More rusted tank bolts. Saw these this week. Two of the toilets had been shut off for a while. I was replacing all of the angle stops in the home, and had run out of time in the day to do more. I did not want to turn the water on to these two toilets, but the homeowner was asking. So I turn the water onto these dry tanks, and well, well, well. We now have a little flood on the floor.
I mop things up and make some recommendations about either replacing parts in the tanks, or perhaps taking this time to consider new toilets.

Looks like I will be installing three new TOTO Entrada toilets. TOTO comes with brass tank bolts so they will be good to go for years to come.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
briggs-tank-bolts-terrylove-01.jpg

Briggs toilet
Home built in 1999, making this 22 years old.

I have to say, the home was in great shape other than the rusting tank bolts.

cst454-terrylove-02.jpg

I replaced the toilet with a TOTO Drake II. They come with brass bolts for the tanks.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks