Rusted flange repair?

Users who are viewing this thread

Michael Corbin

Reaction score
My toilet was leaking. Hoping it was just the wax seal I removed the toilet. Unfortunately the metal ring was rusted. I was able to remove all the metal portion and bought an Oatey split ring flange. I installed this but also noted the ring did not contact the remaining PVC flange. I used a oatey johni-ring jumbo wax seal with flange. It passed two flush tests (just water). Now I wonder if need to capture the PVC flange better. The pipe going to the toilet was very rigid. Any thought? I wonder if it is worth redoing and chipping the PVC flange out and starting with a new one.

Reach4

Reaction score
You are saying the PVC felt rigid. It has very little force on it. The ring is held down by screws, and takes the force of the toilet pulling up. You should be fine.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I do not know what you mean by PVC "flange". If it had a metal flange there was NO PVC flange, just a groove that your split ring engaged before you put the two pieces together.

Reach4

Reaction score
I do not know what you mean by PVC "flange". If it had a metal flange there was NO PVC flange, just a groove that your split ring engaged before you put the two pieces together.
He was referring to the PVC part of a closet flange that originally had a steel ring that rusted away enough to justify the removal of the steel. The item sold as a closet flange may have looked like this when new.
nibco-toilet-flanges-c58512ahd43-64_145.jpg

Michael Corbin

Reaction score
He was referring to the PVC part of a closet flange that originally had a steel ring that rusted away enough to justify the removal of the steel. The item sold as a closet flange may have looked like this when new.
nibco-toilet-flanges-c58512ahd43-64_145.jpg
That is correct. Originally it would have looked like that. The metal is gone so you are left with a PVC funnel. In my case the outside diameter of this funnel is smaller than the inside diameter of the split ring flange. So the metal doesn't "hug" the PVC like the original.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks