rusted fittings at slab

Users who are viewing this thread

Asa

Reaction score
My laundry and its drain are in the garage. The pipe on the left of the photo, before the trap, is where the water enters, and the pipe on the right is the vent stack. There is a leak through the rusted out threads on the tee (after the trap).

As a somewhat quick (budget) fix, I am wondering if I can just cut out these rusted out fittings, and just put in a PVC trap, and tee fitting, hopefully without having a break up the slab (maybe I chip away at the small concrete part around the drain pipe to expose more pipe to fit new fittings in?).

Any advice is much appreciated!
drain pipe.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
To be on the safe side, if there aren't any already, you might want to install some pipe hangers/clamps to hold the pipe from moving vertically when you cut things. Galvanized fittings and pipes will continue to a source of problems for you...the galvanized coating does eventually fail, and it tends to rust the steel much faster than cast iron bits.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks