Rust from low producing well

Users who are viewing this thread

Greenmonster123

Reaction score
Hi, I have a old well at my vacation cabin project that will produce cloudy rusty water. It is a 6” steel casing into rock, not sure how deep but the pump hangs at 100’. It has a high static level and sometimes even overflows the casing. It also is a low producing well which I have roughly figured to have a recharge rate of 3 Gpm. So what I think is happening is, when the a large amount of water is used it draws down the well quickly pulling rusty crud from the top of the casing. I haven’t used the well much as I am just getting things put together. In my mind I would think once things settel out and the water use is normal. Here is the issue in winter I will be draining the lines because the lateral is too shallow and will freeze so every time I start it up I will have rusty water. Are there any filters anyone can recommend for this issue? Thanks

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Chunks of rust are easy to filter, rusty color not so much. Since it is a low producing well anyway, maybe the color will settle out in a storage tank?

Greenmonster123

Reaction score
Chunks of rust are easy to filter, rusty color not so much. Since it is a low producing well anyway, maybe the color will settle out in a storage tank?
The issue is the occasional use. If I had a tank I would still need to fill the tank upon arrival in the cold months and likely wouldn’t settle out in time for a quick weekend trip.

Reach4

Reaction score
Not cheap, but a 4 inch PVC liner is possible in a 6 inch steel casing.

For cheaper, you could use a couple of Pentek Big Blue housings after the pressure tank. The first stage could even be washable.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
How many GPM can the well produce and how many GPM do you need? Maybe a dole valve at the pump outlet to restrict the GPM? I wonder if a Lemco drawdown seal at the bottom of the casing would help?

Greenmonster123

Reaction score
How many GPM can the well produce and how many GPM do you need? Maybe a dole valve at the pump outlet to restrict the GPM? I wonder if a Lemco drawdown seal at the bottom of the casing would help?

I was thinking of a dole valve but have never used one. The well only makes about 3 gpm

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
The water gets rusty color when just sitting unused in steel casing an drop pipe. You might just have to pump it out for a while every time you show up and get some fresh water in the pipes.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks