Rushing Water Noise

Users who are viewing this thread

Kriegrelic

Reaction score
I just recently opened my irrigation system for this year. I noticed a sound of rushing water from the pipe that runs to the outside that wasn't there before. This loud rushing water sound continues until all of the zones have run their course. After the last zone is complete the sound stops. Or, if I turn off the shutoff valve to the irrigation system the sound stops. Could the problem be the pressure vacuum breaker on the outside of the house (Febco). I'm not on city water, but rather a well system. This noise is loud and wakes does wake me up when I run the sprinklers late at night. Is this normal? Doesn't pipe noise usually indicate a pressure problem? Any suggestions?

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
You may have a split pipe that is spraying when the system is on. Is this a new sound since last year?

Kriegrelic

Reaction score
Rushing Water in Pipe

I should have clarified that the rushing water noise is in the 1" copper pipe in the basement of my house from the well to the exterior wall. There doesn't appear to be any leaks where this 1" copper line either in the house or when it exits the house and enters the Febco backflow preventer. Is this sound normal? I don't recall it being that loud when the system is operating in years past. I strongly suspect something is amiss in the backflow preventer. Would I be on the right track in assuming this?

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I don't know if the sound could be coming from the backflow preventer, but a backflow preventer should be tested by a certified technician every spring. In my city, the testing is required by the city. This is not true everywhere, but they should be tested anyway.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks