Rusco filter not cleaning

Users who are viewing this thread

Curtis Brown

Reaction score
I have a Rusco 1.5" filter with a 100 mesh poly screen. It filters my well water before my WaterFurnace geothermal system, so quite a bit of water moves through it. I generally flush once every 2-3 days. When I flush it, the particles on the filter generally don't seem to flush off, and so I have to take it out and manually clean it every week. Would I have more luck getting it clean with a stainless steel screen, or another mesh size? The particles seem to be relatively fine sand.

Some other info. I have not noticed a restriction or water flow issue with my geothermal unit, so the particles clinging don't seem to affect water flow, at least not quickly. Also, my pump puts out 10 gpm, so I also wonder if the 1" filter would be more appropriate for my situation. Maybe I have a flow issue that's causing the filter to not flush correctly.

Also, I've considered an automatic flush valve, but if the flush isn't actually doing its job and I will still have to manually clean the filter, seems a waste of money. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Back flush doesn't do a good job on a screen filter. The 1" filter would clog up quicker, but might have more velocity for flushing. Might try something like a "Twist to clean" filter. I believe the twisting action separates the screens and lets the sand flush out better. But never tried one. Disc filters will have disc that separate when flushing to let the sand break loose. But I don't know how small they make disc filters.

The best thing would be to keep the sand from coming up from the well in the first place. You can filter it up top, but it is still wearing out your pump. A flow inducer sleeve about 3' longer than the pump/motor will make heavy sand fall to the bottom of the well and not get picked up by the pump. Even better to use a Lakos SubK over the pump if it will fit in the well.

Curtis Brown

Reaction score
I actually have a Lakos Sub-16-4 Pak that my well guy did not end up installing because he was skeptical if it would work because of the 4" liner. The Lakos system for a 4" liner requires a seal above the pump and below it, then the separator has to hang from another seal below the pump, so you have to know exactly how far down to insert it before lowering the pump. It's not actually attached to the pump like the larger separators for 5" or 6" wells. I had previously done the swirl test suggested by Lakos and thought my sediment was the type that would be filtered out by their units. But my well guy thought raising the pump and putting a perforated pipe would probably do the job better. So we tried that instead. And now I think the perforated pipe would defeat the purpose of the Lakos unit. My sediment problem improved after driller's changes, but as noted, I'm still getting sediment in my Rusco. Do the Lakos SubK's work well in situations like mine? Also still wondered if stainless screen is better than polymer for my Rusco.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
Have you looked at the Lakos Sandmaster or Sand Separator? Click Inbox.

Curtis Brown

Reaction score
Lakos told me the Sandmaster wouldn't work for my application because my pressure tank is buried in the ground. The Sub-16 Pak that I have is a sand separator, I believe.

Reach4

Reaction score
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks