Running plumbing near an indoor residental electrical panel and code

Users who are viewing this thread

Rossn

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm in the middle of a remodel, where I need to re-run some drains as well as some gas lines by an electrical panel. Where I live, we are on the 2015 I-codes and 2014 NEC.

My electrical panel is located in my utility room, on a wall that has drywall on the back side (adjoining room), and studs are exposed to the interior of the utility room. The panel is recessed normally within the stud bay, and the top of the panel is at 85"; ceiling is at 96".

My understanding from IRC 2015 E3405.2 and E3405.4 is that for an indoor panel, I can run my drain pipe, gas lines, and combustion make-up air ventilation such that it crosses the stud bay at or in front of the studs, and anywhere above the top of my panel (85"). In other words, I could attach a drain pipe and gas line to the inside of the 2x4 studs (or free hanging) in the top 11" of the space.

Am I reading this correctly, and does NEC specify anything different?

Thanks!
Ross

Stuff

Reaction score
Look at the figure E3405.1 - nothing in the gray area so nothing in the stud bay above the panel until it hits the ceiling. You can put pipes in front (surface) but not in the wall.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks