Running out of hot water in one shower

Users who are viewing this thread

TipsMcStagger

Reaction score
I recently had my water heater replaced with an AO Smith ENLB-40. My master bath was renovated a few months before the old water heater failed. I can't remember exactly when but around the time the new heater was installed, I installed this larger rain type shower head. The specs for the head indicate it flows 2.5 GPM. Prior to installing this head, I had a smaller Delta Pivotal shower head that was installed during the renovation but it too advertises 2.5 GPM.

The main line to the master bath was plumbed with 3/4" Uponor but I believe it steps down to 1/2" at the consumers (though I'm not sure about that).

The past couple of times I took a lazy shower, I've run out of hot water. I haven't timed it but I'm guessing around 10 minutes. This was first thing in the morning with no other hot water having been consumed.

So that's around 25 gallons of water and obviously, it's not all hot water. In 10+ years with the old water heater, I never once ran out of hot water granted, the majority of that time was not with the renovated bathroom.

Does this sound right? Am I exhausting the capacity of this heater with one shower? Or is it possible the heater is not adjusted or functioning properly?

Thanks.

Last edited:

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Is your cartridge set all the way hot? A way to check the status of your hot water supply would be to take one of those showers. Then get out of the shower and run hot water to a sink. Measure the temp.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Water heaters are set to 120 degrees from the factory. It's the hottest you want it to be. I have found the new WH are so well insulated that the thermostat's ambient air is hotter therefore it senses the water temp more accurately at 120 degrees. Your old WH may have had the temperature set higher to over come heated water shortage and many remove the insulation around the thermostat when adjusting the temp and not replace it.

As John suggest, you can do it before taking a shower to measure the water temp and it should be about 120 degrees. I had one thermostat in a new WH I had to set on the dial to 129 degrees to get 120. Florida water is warm, starts at about 75 degrees.

What is the brand and model of the tub/shower valve if known?

Last edited:

TipsMcStagger

Reaction score
All of the fixtures in the bathroom are Delta Pivotal.

I did attempt to adjust the cartridge this past summer. There were a few times I'd been exercising in the 90+ degree FL heat and wanted to cool off in a cold shower. But at full cold, the water was not refreshing. I know the ground water is warm in FL, especially in summer, but summer showers had been markedly cooler before the shower was renovated. Adjusting the cartridge helped but I I'm not certain I have it optimally adjusted.

I'll try to find a thermometer to determine the temp of the hot water.

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
Tank water heaters only deliver 65% of their capacity before the incoming cold mixes (via the dip tube) and noticeably begins lowering the temp in the upper reaches of the tank (where the hot water rises to).

TipsMcStagger

Reaction score
Yes, but the old water heater was a 30 gallon capacity. This new AO smith is a 40 gallon. In more than a decade with the old heater, I never ran out of hot water. And I'm certain I took some long showers in that time.

I realize the new shower is a variable. I'm just wondering if this shower/showerhead flows so much more than my old shower that even the upsized heater can't keep up?

TipsMcStagger

Reaction score
Hot water from the tap shows about 110 degrees.

I'll try to adjust the thermostat to see if I can get it to 120.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Water heaters are set to 120 degrees from the factory. It's the hottest you want it to be. I have found the new WH are so well insulated that the thermostat's ambient air is hotter therefore it senses the water temp more accurately at 120 degrees. Your old WH may have had the temperature set higher to over come heated water shortage and many remove the insulation around the thermostat when adjusting the temp and not replace it.
Catch 22

Someone gets sick from bacteria the installer is at fault. Set to high someone gets scalded installer at fault

The factory cannot set the temperature to 120 degrees as they have no idea what the temperature is from the water main

120 degrees Fahrenheit is the safety recommendation against scalding, but 140° is the common default setting. Most experts agree that anything below 120 degrees creates a risk for bacteria to develop inside your water heater from stagnant water, such as legionella that causes Legionnaire's disease.

Ideally you want a dedicated line for a washing machine and dishwasher although new washing machines and dishwashers have sterilization setting

We install water heaters set @140 deg F and use https://www.bradleycorp.com/digital-mixing-valve

It cost a lot but one lawsuit will cost a lot more and how much is it worth to protect people?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks