Running nat gas piping in HVAC chase

Users who are viewing this thread

bmaguire14

Reaction score
I am looking to install nat gas piping to the entryway to my house to feed a new nat gas lantern that I am buying. I want to tap into an existing 3/4" nat gas line that is in the attic almost directly above the entryway (I have a two story house with standard 8' ceilings, so attic floor is roughly 10' above top of the entryway). On the 2nd floor of the house, directly between the entryway and the attic, is a vertical HVAC chase running from floor to ceiling. This is a supply chase (housing a circular flexible duct), not the return chase. My plan is to run a new 1/2" black pipe from the attic floor through the 2nd floor HVAC chase to the ceiling of the ground floor entryway, where it will be reduced to a 1/4" copper pipe that the gas lantern needs.

My question is: 1) does anyone see any problems with this idea?; and 2) are there any issues with code for this plan?

Thanks in advance.

bmaguire14

Reaction score
Anyone?

My post was perhaps overly complicated. Simply put: Is it a code violation to run plumbing in a chase that also houses an HVAC supply duct?

Thanks.

James Henry

In the Trades
Reaction score
Nobody is going to answer that question for you because they don't want to be responsible if your house burns down. You need to get permission from your local plumbing inspector / building department .

Reach4

Reaction score
Nobody is going to answer that question for you because they don't want to be responsible if your house burns down. You need to get permission from your local plumbing inspector / building department .
Nobody would hesitate to say that is forbidden, I am thinking.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks