Running nat gas piping in HVAC chase

Discussion in 'Plumbing Code Questions' started by bmaguire14, Jan 30, 2020.

1. bmaguire14

bmaguire14 New Member

I am looking to install nat gas piping to the entryway to my house to feed a new nat gas lantern that I am buying. I want to tap into an existing 3/4" nat gas line that is in the attic almost directly above the entryway (I have a two story house with standard 8' ceilings, so attic floor is roughly 10' above top of the entryway). On the 2nd floor of the house, directly between the entryway and the attic, is a vertical HVAC chase running from floor to ceiling. This is a supply chase (housing a circular flexible duct), not the return chase. My plan is to run a new 1/2" black pipe from the attic floor through the 2nd floor HVAC chase to the ceiling of the ground floor entryway, where it will be reduced to a 1/4" copper pipe that the gas lantern needs.

My question is: 1) does anyone see any problems with this idea?; and 2) are there any issues with code for this plan?

Thanks in advance.

2. bmaguire14

bmaguire14 New Member

Anyone?

My post was perhaps overly complicated. Simply put: Is it a code violation to run plumbing in a chase that also houses an HVAC supply duct?

Thanks.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. James Henry

James Henry In the Trades

Plumber
    Nobody is going to answer that question for you because they don't want to be responsible if your house burns down. You need to get permission from your local plumbing inspector / building department .

5. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

Nobody would hesitate to say that is forbidden, I am thinking.