Run vent across ranch home to tie into existing pipe through roof or punch new hole/vent pipe?

Users who are viewing this thread

The_Optimyst

Reaction score
I live in lower, Mid-Michigan, right near I-94. Winters here are mostly mild, but occasionally we drop into the -20s.

I'm adding a laundry room on the South end of my 60s/70's build Ranch. We're taking part of an exceptionally huge garage to do this, so the roof is already in place. The septic tank is on the North end of the building. Two bathrooms are on the North end of the building and each bathroom has a 3" exhaust. These are the only current exhaust pipes in the roof for plumbing. The kitchen sink is on the South End, in an island, approximately 20 feet north of the new Laundry room. The Kitchen sink has a mechanical vent and no vent pipe to the exterior. The roof is 3/12 Hip with new blown-in insulation last year.

My question is this. I don't know whether to tie into the existing stack or punch a new hole? It would be way easier to punch a hole because the roof is currently exposed over the laundry. It would also be way less expensive; both in dollars and in man-hours. That, along with the emotional PTSD from pushing my 'Dad bod' frame through a 3/12 roof to run 2"pipe for 80 feet. It just doesn't sound like fun, but I'll do it if it's really the right thing t0 do.

I'd love some perspective on which way to go with this? Do I run 2" across or is it not worth it? Is the additional, potential, leak point enough of a deterrent to make running that 80' horizontal length of exhaust pipe a good choice? Will an exhaust that spans 80 feet horizontal be effective?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks