Run system OK with disabled DAT?

Users who are viewing this thread

3D Artist

Reaction score
We've a 3.5-year-old house in subtropical FL, the system is a Carrier FB4CNP061, set up with three zones, a Honeywell HZ322 control board, Honeywell tstats, and Honeywell zone damper motors.

An HVAC tech came to analyze and fix a problem we were having. We were not getting cooling in our largest zone, and even in this dry cool winter season of 65-70 nights, 75-82 days, RH in the 50s, we were seeing indoor RH in the 70 range.

He found we had unknowingly set the system to fan ON, and not AUTO, which was circulating uncooled air 24/7. He found short-cycling happening due to what he thought was a faulty DAT sensor (installed in discharge duct about a foot away from the unit), and a closed damper caused by either being stuck or damper motor failure.

He opened the damper for zone 2, turned the system fan to run AUTO, disabled the DAT sensor (unclipped its two leads from the HZ322), and within two hours, we were cooled correctly and indoor RH was reading in upper 50s (had been 72).

He quotes a big number, the price of four steak dinners at a Ruths Chris, to furnish and install a new zone damper motor (Honeywell M847D-ZONE, for normally open dampers, $135 online).

He says the DAT can remain permanently disabled going forward, that it was not needed. I tried to get info on this and the device seems to read temp and signal shutdown if low temp goes below 30F and high temp goes above 110F.

Is his position on the DAT an acceptable one? A new sensor is $35 from Amazon, and a far easier swapout than the damper motor. Here it is: Honeywell CECOMINOD032202 FBA C7735A1000, Gray

I have studied things and can do both swaps myself.

Reach4

Reaction score
For those reading along, DAT is duct air temperature.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
It's rare that zones are set up in residential structures in Florida. If the home is large enough multiple AC units are usually installed. At least for cooling in the humid SW USA I don't see much use for zone control. You want full air circulation though out the home. For a few times when heat is needed closing off zones makes sense since humidity is not a concern.

As you stated, humidity, not temperature, is the biggest concern. Closing off rooms with using DAT's it'll be blocking air circulation for that zone. Living in Florida for 32 years the best way for humidity control is to keep the temperature (thermostat) steady. Winter months I usually have the thermostat set to 76, summer time 77. Right now outside is 81/62%, inside 76/55%.

He says the DAT can remain permanently disabled going forward, that it was not needed. I tried to get info on this and the device seems to read temp and signal shutdown if low temp goes below 30F and high temp goes above 110F.
Not sure what your worry is here. The last time South Florida got below 30 degrees was Christmas Eve, 1989 and Florida never gets above 100 degrees.

He quotes a big number, the price of four steak dinners at a Ruths Chris, to furnish and install a new zone damper motor (Honeywell M847D-ZONE, for normally open dampers, $135 on Amazon).
You cannot go by pricing from sites like Amazon and then compare them to a HVAC expert who uses a supplier for parts and has all kinds of expenses behind a visit to a home.

Last edited:

3D Artist

Reaction score
I understand concepts of OH&P so let's drop the Q of why the cost of the quoted work is what it is.

I want to know why a DAT sensor is not needed. Or quoted.

Can the unit overcool so much it produces supply air at 29F and on the other end, heated air at 111? Either would cause a shutdown if a DAT sensor is doing it jab at the limits I discussed above.

If so, why would a qualified pro NOT quote a new DAT sensor, its cost for part plus labor for the swapout 1/3 that for the motor up in the attic?

Fitter30

Reaction score
Honeywell system is design with working damper and sensor. The sensor is protection for both heating high temp and cooling low temp. If there not replaced don't be surprised by needing a compressor in the near future. As far as quoted price has to order parts, pick them up, install them make sure the system works and warranty them.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks