Run natural gas to kitchen island - details

Users who are viewing this thread

Mbam

Reaction score
I am preparing to run a gas line to my kitchen island. I know that the advice is to hire a pro and most likely I will do that for the final connection but I want to get as much of the prep done as possible. And having a technical background I want to understand this completely.

I have successfully cored the slab, jetted in a 1 1/2 sched 40 PVC pipe (about 8 feet) from outside the house and connected it a vertical pipe up into the island with a long sweep elbow. I have the vent running outside the house above grade and everything has been pressure tested. I understand about sealing the sleeve at both ends.

When the gas service was installed a PE pipe was run from the meter and connected to a riser close to my new sleeve. So my question is - what to run from the PE to the appliance connection? And how to connect it to the PE as it will be buried. This is a 2 psi system.

Thanks!!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Someone, NOT YOU, will install a PE tee, run the PE through the sleeve with a seal at both ends of the sleeve.Pressure test the sleeve AND the gas line to the required PSI, then connect it to the range unit. However, here, and possibly anywhere the UPC code is enforced, they may NOT allow a gas line under the floor, even in a sleeve. Unless it was reintroduced, the permissible installation was deleted many years ago.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
"I am preparing to run a gas line to my kitchen island. I know that the advice is to hire a pro and most likely I will do that for the final connection"

What do you mean "most likely"?

Trapped gas under your slab, in case of a gas leak, is a time bomb, that's why placing a gas pipe line under the slab is so regulated. Your city building dept wants to know who will do the job. Provide this information and let your plumber do what the city bldg inspector dictates, to pass inspection.

If you want to save some money and do some of the digging, let the plumber work a deal with you.

But remember this: It could be his license on the line, but not his life.

'

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
I could literately net an extra $175,000 -$200,000 a a year covering people up that are not licensed

There is not a single week that goes by where someone calls and said " I had my husband. handyman non licensed guy do some plumbing and all we need is for a licensed plumber to sign it off"

Just last a few months ago general contractor offered me $20,000 to sign off a job with 178 sprinkler heads so of course I took his name address and turned him in as now he was placing the public at risk

If a home owner wants to save money I tell them to chop open the floors and or walls expose the piping and also they take away any debris

There are licenses for a very valid reason along with codes

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks