Rules/options for extending a cleanout?

Users who are viewing this thread

Gslenk

Reaction score
Either I'm not using the right search words, or what I am thinking of is not allowed...

I'd like to bury this cleanout (and the rest of the main stack) in a wall, going the same direction as the cleanout (blue lines = future wall). Could I remove the threaded part, and donut/pvc about a foot out, then 90 degree elbow off of that (long sweep) to be perpendicular with the wall?

Or should I just build the wall in such a way that there is most of the room available in a 16" OC stud spacing, and a huge access panel (say 16" by 16") to be able to get in there and maneuver if necessary?

One side of the wall will be inaccessible (bathroom/tile wall), the accessible side will likely be in a cabinet.

Attachments

• IMG-6310.jpg
    IMG-6310.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 164

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Just build a wall with an access panel. Only a snake size auger would need to fit. An access panel will allow a peek behind the wall if the CI pipe ever started to leak from rust or a crack. Putting an elbow anywhere it will just stick out past the wall too far.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Remove the Wye install a CO TEE and below the Tee install a CI NO HUB long sweep and allow for access to the CO

Attachments

• college4 (1).JPG
    college4 (1).JPG
    92.2 KB · Views: 173

Reach4

Reaction score
One side of the wall will be inaccessible (bathroom/tile wall), the accessible side will likely be in a cabinet.
Another option is to make the cabinet able to slide away from the wall, giving easy access.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
2 options I can think of are to add a Clean Out Tee which extends the existing cleanout. Or almost as Sylvan suggests, but just add a Clean Out Tee above the existing wye. Both let you keep the existing wall thickness and wouldn't stick out. Looks like you already have rubber donut/fernco inserts which I assume means you have plastic pipe on the stack. That is where I thik you would have the easiest time.

Gslenk

Reaction score
Yup, everything above that is PVC. And a 90 elbow would likely stick too far out of the wall anyway. Don't know why I was so hell bent on keeping the CI wye... I will likely be breaking some concrete anyway to move some drains around. Replacing and rotating the cleanout might just be best anyway.

I didn't think to add a tee feeding the original cleanout. That makes much more sense compared to an elbow.

Thanks for the ideas! At least one of those should work just perfectly.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks