rounded bottom on American Standard Cadet 3

Users who are viewing this thread

david101

Reaction score
I just installed an American Standard Cadet 3 round toilet in my guest bath and even though the floor and toilet are level, there is still a good size gap at the base. Everything is bolted down well, it just seems as if this toilet has a rounded bottom instead of a flat flush bottom. Is this normal for this model? I had a builder quality Krane toilet in there that sat perfectly. I know i can caulk, but i don't like the thick caulk job on a nicely tiled floor.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Take it up and look at the bottom. If it is not level it is defective. Did you buy it at a "big box" store? If so, it could very well be defective, since their items are often sold with the premise that YOU are the final inspector, and if you do not like it, then you will bring it back. If you do not bring it back, then they made money on it because they did not have to throw it away.

david101

Reaction score
Thank you for responding to my post. Yes, I bought it at a big box store and guess what, this is the second time around. The first one had bad glazing and before I bought this one, I made them open it up so I could check it. It looked fine although it was missing the parts bag that they got from another one. I will be lifting it today and checking the level on the bottom, thankfully I took the advice of others on this forum and used the fluidmaster no wax, which worked great.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
And you are starting to "get" why "plumbers" prefer other brands.

Trying to install a non-defective American Standard product is always an adventure.
Installing Toto is much easier. You almost never see a problem like that.
Wait, a rounded off bowl that needs shimming to sit flat?
More like "never" when it comes to Toto.

Keep pulling that American Standard stuff out of the boxes before you take them home.
You might get lucky and find a complete toilet, tank and bowl that are installable.

david101

Reaction score
If only I had found this forum sooner!!!! I would be drinking a beer and relaxing instead of working on this bathroom project still! The advice in this forum is invaluable. I have 4 other toilets to replace in the coming months between 2 houses, so thankfully I learned my lesson early. Thanks again for all of the help! Just reboxed the Cadet and am ordering the Toto Drake today.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks