Round flex AC pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

Semon

Reaction score
The insulation is lose and falling down in the crawl space. I live in Tn.
I don't like the bubble insulation! And I can't find the silver wrap duct insulation around here.
Can I use paper backed insulation and wrap it with plastic sheeting?

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
It hard to understand your whole problem. Is these AC ducts in the crawl space? Are they used of heating? Do you have metal ducts that are wrapped or flex duct? Pictures would help. Just remember that a crawl space can be quite damp and you always need to consider any condensation problems.

Semon

Reaction score
It hard to understand your whole problem. Is these AC ducts in the crawl space? Are they used of heating? Do you have metal ducts that are wrapped or flex duct? Pictures would help. Just remember that a crawl space can be quite damp and you always need to consider any condensation problems.
Liken I said Crawl space (yes) Flex duct(yes) and I know about the condensation problems.
I just want to know if paper back insulation would work if I wrapped it in plastic? I think that is the way the old timer did it.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
[QUOTE="Semon, post: 522104, member: 48107"/.....I think that is the way the old timer did it.[/QUOTE]

I would not since paper will absorb moisture. Maybe some critters were living in the crawl space tearing into the old insulation. Just replace it with new flex duct and use hardware cloth or chicken wire across the floor joist where it runs between the joist for support.

About every Home Depot or Lowe's sell flex duct. If not you can always buy it on line.

Last edited:

Elton Noway

Reaction score
The insulation is lose and falling down in the crawl space. I live in Tn.
I don't like the bubble insulation! And I can't find the silver wrap duct insulation around here.
I was faced with the same problem. my flex duct was laying on the ground, the plastic wrap was off and/or dry rotted in some areas. Home Depots (in my area) carry a large assortment of silver wrapped flex duct. It they don't carry it at your local store you can order it online and have it shipped to your store for free and pick it up when the order arrives. Installing them will be a lot faster than messing around wrapping with fiberglass and plastic.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
FWIW, flex duct is second class compared with rigid ductwork...it creates more resistance to airflow and can hold condensation inside as it slumps between supports. It's installed because it's easier and faster, not because it's better.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks