Roughing In For Hand Shower Supply Elbow

Users who are viewing this thread

Schwarz633

Reaction score
I'm roughing in for a hand shower supply elbow with a 1/2" NPT connection. There will be tile over cement board so the exact finish distance from the studs can only be approximated at this time. I planned on using a drop ear elbow screwed down but now I'm wondering if I should let it float as the 1/2" nipples only come in 1/2" length increments. What's the best practice for this? How much length "adjustment" is there when working with NPT?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You will want the drop ear screwed in and tight. The 1/2" tapered threads work fine on that. Between the two sides and the tapers, there is enough adjustment.

Schwarz633

Reaction score
The tile installation is finally completed and I was able to trim out the valve, install the spout and showerhead, and mount the hand shower supply elbow today. As it turned out, a 2 1/2" brass nipple was too short and a 3" was too long. I ended up fabricating a nipple out of 1/2" copper with a male NPT adapter on each end. I made it the length I thought would be right, but had to unsweat it once and shorten it by 1/8". Then I had to heat it up again to index it by 45 degrees to get the correct orientation. Certainly a lot of screwing around, but there wasn't really any "give" between the drop ear elbow and the finished surface and I didn't want to crack the tile by drawing it in too far. I'm thankful I'm able to take the time on small details like this to get it right.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks