Roughing in bathroom on slab

Users who are viewing this thread

joshtp

Reaction score
I've remodeled bathrooms before, but this is my first time doing it on a slab. I've busted up the concrete, removed the old toilet line back to the 4" service cast iron line, and have laid down what I think will work. I'm using a Fernco 4" to 3" adapter to go to 3" DWV PVC for toilet, and 2" for shower, sink, and new vent/cleanout. Here's what it looks like:
54255199_411201646107442_8088156616530067456_n.jpg

The ABS against the block wall was existing, used for the vanity and venting. I had thought I could use that same vent for the new toilet and shower location, however I thought it might get drowned out, so extended the concrete trench to run a new vent line through the partition wall on the opposite side.

I've cut and dry-fit almost every piece, but had a break and wanted to post the photos to see if I've made any glaring mistakes.

53095685_2585584624816631_1866385322741334016_n.jpg 53602059_330378184276912_8152410465444560896_n.jpg

1) I used a 22.5 degree bend to transition from the higher 3" line from the toilet to the wye next to the main line, but they don't meet up. I think I might need to dig out a little more and lower at least the toilet line so it can go straight into the wye without any intervening fittings.
53206774_253293775556009_6789016291815456768_n.jpg

2) I'm not positive where I should start cementing fittings. Toilet flange location and existing drain are most critical, I'll be doing my own shower pan so that can be off slightly. I've tried to account for the fittings not seating fully in my cuts for the pipe, so hopefully when they do seat fully things will line up, but I'm thinking I might want to start connecting the toilet to the main line first.

3) The closet bend has a bell end up, which is just below the concrete, so the toilet flange with spigot end can't seat fully, but there's not enough room to extend it with pipe and use a toilet flange with bell end. Not sure if the toilet flange can only seat part way if that will be sufficient.

I thought I had more questions, but this is what I've come up with so far. Thank you all for any advice, this forum has been invaluable over the years.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
A flat vent for the shower, that will need a cleanout.
Is there a wall between the toilet and shower, which would be a good place to go vertical with the vent.

joshtp

Reaction score
A flat vent for the shower, that will need a cleanout.
Is there a wall between the toilet and shower, which would be a good place to go vertical with the vent.

Thank you for your advice/question.

We had planned to do a neo-angle shower with glass walls, so no, we did not plan to have a wall between the toilet and shower.

I had hoped that the vent with cleanout I planned next to the shower would suffice for venting the shower and toilet. Here's another diagram, with purple for venting path and blue for drainage path:
Diagram_bathroom_toilet_shower_vent.jpg

Would that vent in the partition wall with a cleanout suffice?

Here's a Sketchup model of the planned layout if it helps:
Bathroom_sketchup.JPG

Thank you!

joshtp

Reaction score
I went ahead and cemented everything up, I hope the vent I have in place will suffice.

Here you can see the toilet, vent, and shower:
IMG_20190309_211154.jpg

This shows the toilet. In my original post, I was worried as the closet bend was below the surface. I changed out the hub-end for a spigot-end closet bend, and it now goes above the surface so I can flush cut it later:
IMG_20190309_211233.jpg

On the right you see the 4" SV cast iron joined to 3" PVC with a Fernco 1056-43. On the left is an existing 2" cast iron pipe that goes up the outside wall for the sink and venting joined with a no-hub coupling. I fixed my misalignment in the original post by rolling two sixteenth (1/16, 22.5 degree) bends together along with a standard eighth bend wye (instead of my original combo/quarter bend wye).
IMG_20190309_211303.jpg

My only concerns are:
  1. Is the vent I have in place sufficient? I'm hoping I didn't explain things well enough to begin with.
  2. One or two jointed pushed out perhaps 1/8", in spite of having been held for 30-40 seconds. Do these need to be redone?
  3. The PVC connections between the two cast iron pipes in that last photo are very tight, with no wiggle room. On the left, the PVC butts tightly against the inner lip of the neoprene sleeve of the coupling which butts right against the 2" cast iron. On the right, the hub butts right against the Fernco coupling. Could thermal expansion or something else cause a failure with such a tight fit?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks