Rough plumbing question IPC code, hot water heater, water hammer

Users who are viewing this thread

Caryncbreeef

Reaction score
So I have all the dvw done, started running the waterlines. I’ve done as much investigation and reading of the code as possible, and before I post I really try to find out for myself. But I have not been able to find an answer to this question. When I look at the rough in requirements, they talk about pressurizing the water system either with water or air, how would that be done without the hot water heater in place?

Either I’m really missing something or what?

So the simple question is do I just stub out the hot and cold lines To and from the water heater for the rough inspection?

And the other question is about the water hammer arrestors, are they code in IPC for the washing machine and dishwasher or is that per municipality?

thanks.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Pick up a 24" water heater flex and connect the cold to the hot for testing. The hot side needs to be pressurized.
Regardless of he codes, you will want a hammer arrestor on the dishwasher, icemaker and washer.

Last edited:

Caryncbreeef

Reaction score
Pick up a 24" water heater flex and connect the cold to the hot for testing. The hot side needs to be pressurized.
Regardless of he codes, you will want a hammer arrestor on the dishwasher, icemaker and washer.

Thanks! I wondered about jumping the connections but couldnt find details about it.. much appreciated

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
I usually connect the hot and cold together at the water heat while roughing in then just cut the water heater in when it's time. Or cap the hot and cold at the water heater and connect them at the stops by a sink with my testing rig and flex supply hoses.

Caryncbreeef

Reaction score

One other question if I may. Do I put expansion tank and all after rough in, and just run cold/hots and connect them? As far as water hammer goes, I already purchased (and installed washer) PEX A washer box and ice maker box. Obviously without hammwr arrestors. Are the screw on ones (see pic) code or is it better to buy complete valve/arrestor in one? Don’t want to fail inspection over something like this, reinspection fees are $150. So if it’s questionable. Or is this an inspector preference? Ty

sioux-chief-660-h.jpg

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
On water hammer arrestors, IPC 604.9 (as possibly amended by NC):

"The flow velocity of the water distribution system shall be controlled to reduce the possibility of water hammer. A water-hammer arrestor shall be installed where quick-closing valves (for example: clothes washers, dishwashers, ice makers) and metallic piping are used. The water-hammer arrestor shall not be required on any valves where plastic pipe is used for water distribution piping. Water-hammer arrestors shall be installed in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions. Water-hammer arrestors shall conform to ASSE 1010."

Cheers, Wayne

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks