Rough Plumbing inspection IPC am I missing anything?

Users who are viewing this thread

Caryncbreeef

Reaction score
Once I redo the brass unions I’ll be good to go I believe. Again I have tried to read what is expected of me but not feeling confident. Talked to a retired inspector and he gave me some hints but left a few things out, at $150 per failure I am trying to pass on go #1.

DWV blocked at cleanout before leaving house with 4” rubber plug
all vents(except roof) sealed except 44”+ riser for lavatory as filler

drains have correct fall

vent system mostly AAvs

trap arms all within code.

shower base has plug and filled with water.

nailing plates wherever needed

support of pipe per code.

single roof vent, and 6”+ above roof deck

with this forum’s help I was super careful with choosing correct fittings for each change of direction.

clean outs end of each run

washer with cleanout on trap, riser correct height - triple checked for code

all areas fireblocked/caulked

I know without pics you cant tell me what ive done possibly wrong, but what do the inspectors WANT to see ?

Again many thanks folks.

JohnRK

Reaction score
Once I redo the brass unions I’ll be good to go I believe. Again I have tried to read what is expected of me but not feeling confident. Talked to a retired inspector and he gave me some hints but left a few things out, at $150 per failure I am trying to pass on go #1.

DWV blocked at cleanout before leaving house with 4” rubber plug
all vents(except roof) sealed except 44”+ riser for lavatory as filler

drains have correct fall

vent system mostly AAvs

trap arms all within code.

shower base has plug and filled with water.

nailing plates wherever needed

support of pipe per code.

single roof vent, and 6”+ above roof deck

with this forum’s help I was super careful with choosing correct fittings for each change of direction.

clean outs end of each run

washer with cleanout on trap, riser correct height - triple checked for code

all areas fireblocked/caulked

I know without pics you cant tell me what ive done possibly wrong, but what do the inspectors WANT to see ?

Again many thanks folks.
  • All brass piping and fittings have been deleted in their entirety for any application from the 2020 code.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Hi John. I have been trying to get clarification on this but from my rate the 2018 IPC allows lead free brass and drinking water systems. And my friend who’s a retired plumbing inspector said he couldn’t find anything that said to the contrary.
It doesn't really make any sense.

Caryncbreeef

Reaction score
It doesn't really make any sense.
My original question was asking what else I need to do to have my home ready for rough plumbing inspection. I laid out what I’ve already done, but I’m trying to find out if there any other things the inspectors are looking for that I wouldn’t know, like filling the shower basin with water. I couldn’t seem to find that in the code book but I understand it’s required. I mentioned the brass union that I’m having some trouble with and one of the members said brass isn’t acceptable in 2020 and my code is on 2018 because of when I took out the permit North Carolina was still in the code 2018. I hope that explains it if it doesn’t thanks anyway

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
My original question was asking what else I need to do to have my home ready for rough plumbing inspection. I laid out what I’ve already done, but I’m trying to find out if there any other things the inspectors are looking for that I wouldn’t know, like filling the shower basin with water. I couldn’t seem to find that in the code book but I understand it’s required. I mentioned the brass union that I’m having some trouble with and one of the members said brass isn’t acceptable in 2020 and my code is on 2018 because of when I took out the permit North Carolina was still in the code 2018. I hope that explains it if it doesn’t thanks anyway
I understand what's happening. I don't think brass is illegal though.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
A bit confusing because some guy from Florida started spouting off nonsense about brass.
Go for it Carey! No one wants to blow an inspection , I had corrections before but we never got charged they usually only do that if you fail more than once I heard maybe they got stricter but I've never heard of getting dinged , but we've gotten inspectors pissed and they barked and threatened .
Make sure DWV is under test and water is at street pressure Gas we don't put air on rough for inspection but test for ourselves because we only give inspector a gas test at final (you could be different on gas test) Last don't have a mess of water all over the floor it looks bad

Caryncbreeef

Reaction score
A bit confusing because some guy from Florida started spouting off nonsense about brass.
Go for it Carey! No one wants to blow an inspection , I had corrections before but we never got charged they usually only do that if you fail more than once I heard maybe they got stricter but I've never heard of getting dinged , but we've gotten inspectors pissed and they barked and threatened .
Make sure DWV is under test and water is at street pressure Gas we don't put air on rough for inspection but test for ourselves because we only give inspector a gas test at final (you could be different on gas test) Last don't have a mess of water all over the floor it looks bad
Yeahi got my unions all happy, we put the dwv under pressure and got a few leaks. Redid one run letting it settle and will check again in am. For whatever reason here in Raleigh they go right for $150 reinsp fee. I called for framing(at the inspectors suggestion) and failed because trades were not done. He told me the order! But I did not argue with him. No good to come from that. Since then we have passed everything. Plumbing hopefully Monday, framing ready to go then finsihe her up. Been almost two years (being disabled makes all this take longer but you do what you can. Thanks for the response!

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Well the city seems to be getting on you 2 years a bit long to get through framing but 150 fee seems punitive. good luck Carey!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks