Rough plumbing / electrical inspections

Users who are viewing this thread

The old college try

Engineering Technician
Reaction score
I'm getting ready for plumbing and electrical rough inspections for my bathroom remodel. I live in a small village and it is difficult to reach the inspectors. I'm looking for some direction on what is commonly done for the inspections. Since fixtures are not connected to drain lines at this point, how are the stubs for WC, lav and bath typically plugged? I assume that the inspector won't be excited about the rags I have jammed in the pipes. Also, with regards to the electrical, will the inspector typically look at the panel? Can the circuit be connected to the panel and the breaker just shut off? If so, should I have the panel cover off for the inspection?
Finally, I'm nervous that when the inspectors come to do the bathroom inspections, they'll find other problems with the house and I'll end up opening a huge can of worms with this remodel. My house is almost 80 years old, and each owner seems to have had fun jerking around with the plumbing and wiring. I have no idea if permits were pulled when the electrical system was updated in 1996 (labeled on the panel), or when the plumbing was updated (probably within the last 10 years). Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

By the way, can anyone tell me why everytime I tell a friend or co-worker that I'm getting inspections done they look at me like I'm from outer-space? I feel like I'm the only one who's ever requested inspections. I just thought it's what I was supposed to do (although I could have done without spending $220).

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Unless there is a significant health or safety hazard in what's there and you aren't touching it, they usually overlook it. They want to make sure that what you add is done properly. My exposure to inspectors has been limited, but I've not had troubles. It does seem to depend on where you are and the attitudes of the local building department. Don't argue, ask questions if you don't understand.

The old college try

Engineering Technician
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. It's been on my mind since I started the project, and even today I got the alien look from a coworker that was told I'm having inspections done.

The old college try

Engineering Technician
Reaction score
Had the plumbing and electrical inspections done today and passed with flying colors. Both inspectors were very cool. The said that they were happy to be helpful and answer any questions I had and that I should feel free to call them with any questions. I don't regret opting for the inspections even though everyone and their brother seems to think I'm crazy for doing it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks