Rough in washer and vanity drain

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
Hey everyone or anyone I'm currently doing the plumbing for our addition. My hold is with the washer and vanity drain. I have my 2 inch stack ran but I did not run a separate drain for the vanity behind the washer closet. I was hoping to plumb them together and this is what I had in mind. I've seen other similar posts but I just want to make sure my idea is somewhat accurate for inspection. I'm hoping to get this done today or tomorrow so any help would be appreciated

Attachments

• IMG_20210831_080006.jpg
    IMG_20210831_080006.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 120

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
I think I'd use a wye and 45 for the vanity instead of the 2"x1.5" tee.

I'd start lower off of the stack and use a tee set vertical for the lav. Then use a45 to offset the vent. Hopefully your studs will allow that.

Your horizontal vent could /will collect debris over time.

Reaction score
I think I'd use a wye and 45 for the vanity instead of the 2"x1.5" tee.

I'd start lower off of the stack and use a tee set vertical for the lav. Then use a45 to offset the vent. Hopefully your studs will allow that.

Your horizontal vent could /will collect debris over time.

Hey John so don't mind the sloppiness and thank you for the fast response. So if im understanding you correctly is this image more accurate to what your saying. Also just to confirm. It's ok that the laundry and the vanity share the same 2 inch drain they just need separate vents correct

Attachments

• IMG_20210831_094808.jpg
    IMG_20210831_094808.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 122
Reaction score
Horizontal dry vent takeoff is not allowed.

Your bigger problem is IPC 406.2, which says that the laundry drain needs to be be increased to 3" when it joins another drain.

https://up.codes/viewer/connecticut/ipc-2015/chapter/4/fixtures-faucets-and-fixture-fittings#406.2

Cheers, Wayne
Thanks Wayne I felt like there was something wrong with it that I was missing. So should I just plan on running a separate drain for the vanity. I have the 3 inch main drain not far away so I can tie in there with a 3x3 x 1.5 tee wye

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
I don't know which plumbing code you use in your area.

Yes your drawing is what I would do.

If you use IPC then yes you need a 3"pipe instead of 2".

Reaction score
I don't know which plumbing code you use in your area.

Yes your drawing is what I would do.

If you use IPC then yes you need a 3"pipe instead of 2".

I believe it's IPC but I don't think I could fit a 3 inch in that area so I'm just going to run a separate 1.5 inch drain for the vanity. That will tie in below with a 3x3x1.3 tee wye. I'll attach a pic to show my plan. This will just be the safest thing for me to do. So I don't have to overthink the design.

Attachments

• IMG_20210831_102222.jpg
    IMG_20210831_102222.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 115

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Your picture looks good as long at the trap arm for your washer is the correct length.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Looks good as long as you aren't trying to wet vent any other bathroom fixtures via the lav.

Cheers, Wayne

Reaction score
Looks good as long as you aren't trying to wet vent any other bathroom fixtures via the lav.

Cheers, Wayne
Nope that's it the other vent is a 2 inch for the shower and that is tied in the ceiling directly to the main 3 inch out the roof. In terms of trap arm length that John referred too I was planning at around 10-12 inches. I know the trap and tee can't be closer than 4 inches. Is there a max that has to stay below. That should complete my questions lol

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
So how is the WC vented?

As to trap arm length, the rule is that the trap arm can't fall more than one pipe diameter before the vent. So at 1/4" per foot slope (the minimum), you get maximum 6' length for a 1-1/2" trap arm, 8' for a 2" trap arm. But if you aren't careful and have more slope, then you can't get the full possible length.

Cheers, Wayne

Reaction score
So how is the WC vented?

As to trap arm length, the rule is that the trap arm can't fall more than one pipe diameter before the vent. So at 1/4" per foot slope (the minimum), you get maximum 6' length for a 1-1/2" trap arm, 8' for a 2" trap arm. But if you aren't careful and have more slope, then you can't get the full possible length.

Cheers, Wayne
Hey Wayne I just installed the tee and trap arm my length between the p trap end and the tee inlet is 8 inches.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks