rough in problem

Users who are viewing this thread

spittman003

Reaction score
I need to know the min. rough in measurement I can get away with. I only have around 9 3/4 " to the back finished wall. Is there a little room or will the tank hit the wall? Thanks:confused:

Last edited:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
A 10" rough in toilet will likely work, problem is there are only a few 10" toilets available. Most are 12" which often will fit at about 11-1/2" or so. It seems strange in this day of precision measurement that the rough-in size and actual space used varies from manufacturer to manufacturer. Do I infer correctly that you are doing an extensive remodel or building and new room? If so, why not bite the bullet and move the drain to 12"? That would give you mega choices in toilets.

spittman003

Reaction score
this is in an existing bathroom in the basement. The floor is concrete and it has a 3" tericotta pipe flush with the floor. I did not want to bust up the floor if Ididn't have to.I just installed ceramic tile on the walls and realized my problem after that.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Some of the Toto toilets use an adapter on the flange that allows the whole toilet to move one way or another so it will fit at either 10, 12 (it comes with this one, the others are extra), or 14". There's normally 3/4" clearance behind the toilets when you select one of these Totos (as said, each brand will have different clearances). There are more, but some of the Totos that would work are the Vespin and the Carlyle (I have one of each in my house). Using one of these with the optional 10" Unifit adapter, you'd still have about 1/2" clearance behind the toilet.

cst474_side.jpg

Toto Vespin II CST474CEFG with SS114 Softclose seat.
This bowl was installed on a 13-1/2" rough-in using the 14" Unifit adapter.
The water shutoff can be as close as 5-1/2" to the left of center, unless it's higher off the floor, and then it can be even closer to center.
This shutoff had been replaced with a new 1/4 turn valve with brass nipple through the wall.
Installation was by James Love of Love Plumbing & Remodel 206-949-5683
In some of the older Seattle homes, the old toilets had been wall mounted tank toilets.
Those typically are 14" rough-in and need a flange repair to use standard closet bolt connections at the flange.
Everything is on the truck for that.
The Vespin comes with a standard 12" adapter or you can order a 10" or 14" adapter depending on your rough-in distance.

Last edited by a moderator:

3m

Reaction score
Check with your local crane dealer, a 131-2175 1.8g 17" ada bowl with a 31740 crane white tank 1.6g 141-2150 will give you a 10" rough in. I just installed one and the tank will touch the wall

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
If you look at the spec sheets for the toilets you are considering there is a dimensional drawing of the toilet. Take for instance the link below for a Toto Vespin with the a 10" unifit adapter. You will notice the drawing shows a gap of 3/4" behind the toilet. In theory it should fit down to a 9 1/4" rough in.

Of course the reality is that with any product there are variations in the dimensions of the finished product. With one it might fall onto a 9 1/4" rough in with room to spare and another might squeak onto a 9 1/2" rough in...

The only for sure is when the rough is dead nuts at 10, 12, or 14"

TOTO now has a 10" dual flush at the factory.
I'm bringing some here for the Seattle area.
CST412MF.10

Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
toilet

You may have to physically measure the toilet. 12" toilets often have considerable leeway, but 10" toilets usually are quite exact, and the only way to know for sure is to actually measure the unit.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks