Rough-in basement P trap is full of gravel

Users who are viewing this thread

arkanos

Reaction score
My basement (concrete slab) has a bathroom rough in that we are looking to use. It Is below the sewer line and uses an ejector pit to send waste up to drain level (we will get someone out to inspect and/or replaced this since it hasn't been used since the house was built 45 years ago).

One of the stub ups is clearly for a shower or tub, however the pipe is FULL of gravel. There's about a 6" hole cut around the pipe through which you can see the sub-slab gravel, and the 2" pipe is nearly flush with the top of the gravel, so over time I guess it's just fallen in.

Is there a good way to remove this gravel? Would strongly prefer not to jackhammer this pipe out and replace it.

Reach4

Reaction score
Is there a good way to remove this gravel?
I would start with a wet-dry vacuum with an attachment that narrows the air flow near the end. An adapter that adapts the 3 inch wet-vac tube to standard vacuum cleaner attachments could help with that. Another way would be to stick maybe a 1.25 or 1.5 diameter tube up the 3-inch a bit, and use duct tape to hold it in position and to block air bypassing the tube.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks