rotten cotton / mineral wool

Users who are viewing this thread

Justin_NJ

Reaction score
Plumbing inspection passed the rough in today - and he told me to make sure I stuff the plumbing and electrical holes made through the floors/walls with Rotten Cotten for fire protection prior to insulation inspection. I have seen this in the walls all over the house but need to buy more. It appears to be a fiberglass insullation but actually is more gritty and I don't think it's fiberglass. It is a mustard yellowish color.

Only thing I can find is that it's other known as mineral wool or slag wool...

Any clue where I might find this or some other product I can use to stuff the holes for fire block. I was told by the inspector not to use foam as it won't pass the fire block inspection....

thanks for any help Justin

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
There is a caulk specifically made for fireblocking in holes like this. Sold at HD for sure. Check with your inspector to make sure he's amenable.

Justin_NJ

Reaction score
found it

Mikey,

Thanks... I did see that at HD... inspector wants mineral wool (rotten cotten).... I did find it at the lumber yard a few miles from the house....

Thanks...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks