Rope or ss cable for a rescue line

Users who are viewing this thread

Fishyone

Reaction score
This probably has been covered, but couldn't find it in the search bar.

putting my pump down to 200' in a 450' well. is it better to use rope or ss cable for protection against lost of the pump. will be using 1 1/4" PVC well drop pipe sch 120w/ss couplers. pump will be a 1 1/2hp 4" stainless. I see some have 1/8" ss t316 steel wire/cable with a 2000# rating. any chance of that rusting out. Looking at the price I'm sure its overseas. is an American made good rope a better option
Also when doing this is it better to attach the rope or cable to the drop pipe along with the wiring or let it hang loose (as they say)

Reach4

Reaction score
is it better to use rope or ss cable for protection against lost of the pump.
No. Those can get tangled. Make your piping strong enough. If using poly pipe, use a long barb that can take 3 worm gear clamps.

Fishyone

Reaction score
So your saying don't use either a rope or cable. The sch.120 pvc drop pipe with threaded ss couplings is strong but 450' is a long way to go looking for a pump. Would the 10/3 wire with ground and flat pvc casing be enough to hold the pump if something lets go

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Like Reach says, don't use rope or cable. They are just more opportunities for a failure down the well. Also do not use torque arrestors or wire stand offs either. If/when a rope or cable come loose it will bind between the 4" pump and the 5" 0r 6" well casing and prevent you from getting any of it out of the well.

Sch 120 with metal couplings is plenty strong all by itself. Just make sure to get it right and don't drop it. I have pulled many pumps with the wires over the years, but you can't count on that holding either. Just use good pipe and don't use rope or cable to cause problems.

VAWellDriller

Reaction score
I don't use anything and agree with everything said above. BUT, if you do put it in, tape it on every joint along with the wire. I have customers or engineers insist sometimes....when I have to I use stainless cable.

2stupid2fixit

Reaction score
Like Reach says, don't use rope or cable. They are just more opportunities for a failure down the well. Also do not use torque arrestors or wire stand offs either. If/when a rope or cable come loose it will bind between the 4" pump and the 5" 0r 6" well casing and prevent you from getting any of it out of the well.

Sch 120 with metal couplings is plenty strong all by itself. Just make sure to get it right and don't drop it. I have pulled many pumps with the wires over the years, but you can't count on that holding either. Just use good pipe and don't use rope or cable to cause problems.

what about the dumb jurisdictions with limited knowledge inspectors that insist on safety line? they dont like the "well if the pipe fails i can drag it up via the power wire"

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
If an inspector has anything to say about using rope in a well or not, I would run him off my property. Talk about government over-reach! They would not be government inspectors if they knew enough to actually do the work. If a rope is required, I will bet you could just hang two feet of rope over the edge of the casing and the inspector would never know the difference. Government inspectors should be old retired people who know how things work, not someone trying to retire without ever having to work.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks