Roots In Sump Basin And Pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

Ryan87500

Reaction score
I just noticed that I have roots in my French drain pipe feeding into the sump basin. I was able to reach in and pull out an arms length worth not sure if there is more or not. The water seems to move fine as my basement hasn't flooded.

What is the best way to deal with this? How common is this issue?

Given that there are holes in the corregated pipe I would have to image it happens but didn't see discussions on it when searching.

Ryan87500

Reaction score
How deep is the french drain? Do you have an idea what the roots come from? If you have access to the drain tiles you could use a product such as blue stone.
http://www.coppersulfatecrystals.com/home.html

The basement is about 10 feet down and the pipe is another foot down. I don't believe there is a clean out. Is there usually one for French drains.

If not how period you use the product.

There is a large tree maybe 15 feet from the house in the location of the sump so I assume that is the tree.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
There is very little that can be done with corregated piping, which is why we prefer to use PVC. If you can identify the offending tree, getting rid of it is the long-term solution. The roots of some trees will continue to grow for awhile, and your best bet is to take action before it becomes a more serious problem.

Ryan87500

Reaction score
If you know about where the drain pipe starts, the highest point etc you could dig down and put a pipe down the drain. You could use it as a port to add the blue stone. Here is something similar:
http://hubpages.com/living/Clogged-Septic-Leach-Cheap-Fix#

Thanks. So I am just buying this house. I know there is some pipe that looks like that sticking out in front of the house. I assumed it was the sewer line. Would that make sense to have a sewer cleanout sticking out? How do you tell if sewer or French drain?

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
The French drain is probably just around the foundation and empties into your basin. Only a guess but that is normally what is done.

Ryan87500

Reaction score
There is very little that can be done with corregated piping, which is why we prefer to use PVC. If you can identify the offending tree, getting rid of it is the long-term solution. The roots of some trees will continue to grow for awhile, and your best bet is to take action before it becomes a more serious problem.

Is the only real solution to get rid of the tree? Any alternatives. If not what is the secret to finding the tree. I assume it is the biggest one closest to the area but that is just a guess.

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
You could start with the blue stone if you can access the pipe to get it in there. It may not kill the entire tree. I'm not sure about that though.

Ryan87500

Reaction score
You could start with the blue stone if you can access the pipe to get it in there. It may not kill the entire tree. I'm not sure about that though.

If there is no access I wonder if I wait until it grows long enough to get to the basin then let the ends soak in the basin would that do anything?

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
If there is no access I wonder if I wait until it grows long enough to get to the basin then let the ends soak in the basin would that do anything?

I doubt that it would accomplish much. ......Maybe you could run a hose etc up the slotted drain pipe as far as possible and connect it to the pump. You could put a slurry of blue stone and water in the pit and let the pump, pump it into the pipe and drain back to the pit and recirclate it for a while. I don't know how often you would have to do it. Just thinking outside the box if there is no way to access the slotted drain pipe.

Here is some more blue stone info:
http://citywideplumbingpros.com/blog/copper-sulfate-root-killer/

Ryan87500

Reaction score
I doubt that it would accomplish much. ......Maybe you could run a hose etc up the slotted drain pipe as far as possible and connect it to the pump. You could put a slurry of blue stone and water in the pit and let the pump, pump it into the pipe and drain back to the pit and recirclate it for a while. I don't know how often you would have to do it. Just thinking outside the box if there is no way to access the slotted drain pipe.

Here is some more blue stone info:
http://citywideplumbingpros.com/blog/copper-sulfate-root-killer/

Appreciate the help. Is this an uncommon issue? I see lots of discussion on sewer lines but not French drains

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
Most of the time roots probably go undetected in French drains, but you know it is happening. It might be more obvious in plumbing drains or septic systems because things start to back up and when investigated roots are found. Sometimes the septic lines or drains can be rodded out and the blue stone can prevent the roots from coming back or at least slow them down. I have seen ports put in the top of distribution boxes so blue stone could be added yearly to help prevent roots from growing in the septic drain field. I don't remember one being put in a French drain but I doubt you would be the first. Good luck with whatever you do.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Thanks. So I am just buying this house. I know there is some pipe that looks like that sticking out in front of the house. I assumed it was the sewer line. Would that make sense to have a sewer cleanout sticking out? How do you tell if sewer or French drain?
The footing drains normally are installed around the perimeter of the footing only. Even if you could get root control chemicals into one section of the pipe, it would leach out through the perforations before it was able to make it very far up the line.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks