Roots in Main Sewer Line

Users who are viewing this thread

Tates14

Reaction score
We just had a backup into the basement from the main sewer line. The line was roto rootered and then scoped. The company suggested the line be completely re-lined with the cast in place pipe and quoted 15k for the job. I have a couple more companies coming out today for more quotes. Is this truly necessary or will something like copper sulfate or the foaming root killer do the job? I linked some video/pictures from the pipes below. Thanks for the help.

https://imgur.com/gallery/VuHQtwS

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
I go by a rule of thumb of how much inconvenience can you tolerate. Generally if you have to have your sewer cleaned out 2 or more times per year, its time to fix the cause.

Usually the amount of inconvenience is amplified by how much you can tolerate having your signifigant other ask when its going to be fixed.

Last edited:

Tughillrzr

In the Trades
Reaction score
was that video after they used the snake w a gimlet head ? Did they use side cutters or rotary cutters to cut the roots at all ? Or did they just scope it after they opened the pipe?
How many trees are above and around pipe? I’d get someone to really snake it w correct cutter head . Possibly Cut a few trees. Wow on the 15k

Tates14

Reaction score
was that video after they used the snake w a gimlet head ? Did they use side cutters or rotary cutters to cut the roots at all ? Or did they just scope it after they opened the pipe?
How many trees are above and around pipe? I’d get someone to really snake it w correct cutter head . Possibly Cut a few trees. Wow on the 15k

video was after snaking it. It didn’t look like he had a huge blade on it. Was a younger kid that seemed pretty new and then his “field superviser” came out to scope it who then quoted us 15k for the lining. Hopefully the local company coming tomorrow will have a better quote or will at least be able to snake it better.

db3058

Reaction score
I had the same issue at my home years ago shortly after buying the house. The rooter guy ran his cutter through a couple times. I never had another problem although he pulled a lot of roots out. I did snake it myself 20 years later just for preventive maintenance with a rented snake from Home Depot. I never hit any roots. I lived there 35 years and never had another issue. I am Italian so I do make pasta with salted water and the drain got that treatment often.

The "plumbers" these days are always trying to up the ante and tell you that you need this and need that for ridiculous amounts of money. Most of it is BS so unless you have an ongoing issue I'd ignore the guy. You can rent a snake and do it yourself from time to time before you have a crisis and you'll know what kind of job you did.

Reach4

Reaction score
The "plumbers" these days are always trying to up the ante and tell you that you need this and need that for ridiculous amounts of money.
Certainly not all. Those who do the loss leader pricing would do that as a needed part of their business model. The guy who does not quote a low price over the phone, and does not have a salesman come out for free estimates on presumably small jobs and is booked up for a while is more likely to be worth waiting for. I am not a plumber or other pro.

db3058

Reaction score
Absolutely. I'm not talking about real plumbers. I just had a great guy finish a job for me after I got sick. I am talking about my experience lately about crisis rooter guys. I've had multiple bad experiences helping my 95 yr old mother-in-law with guys lying and trying to rip her off after sewer backups and water heater jobs. The last company in Santa Clara Valley in CA lied and cheated her so badly that after posting a review of them, they profusely apologized and offered a new water heater job for free, which I declined. I wanted nothing more to do with them. I had them rip out what they did and leave. Many guys try to take advantage of homeowners who know nothing so can't discern truth from fiction. It's getting really bad these days in CA where they think everyone has plenty of money.

Matticus

Reaction score
Yeah I would personally never recommend any service unless we put a camera down the drain. And you are rare, most people don't want to go rent a snake and get crap splattered all over their face once a year lol. I tell people I can guarantee they won't have to snake their sewer line ever again. "You literally won't have to think about your sewer line for the next 50 years." That is why people pay so much for lining.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks