Root Intrusion Advice

Users who are viewing this thread

sewerman

Reaction score
I have root intrusion in my cast iron sewer line. The intrusion is right at the joint of the end of the cast iron line to the city ABS line and it is under the alley (outside of my property) My plumber wants to do hydro-jetting and says the city wont take responsibility.

my questions:
(1) Is it really my responsibility (since it is under the city's alley)?

(2) Is hydro-jetting the best method for root removal? and can the pipe be sealed from further intrusion?

(3) Will taking out the offending plant (likely an oleander bush directly above) solve the problem?

thanks

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
sewerman said:
I have root intrusion in my cast iron sewer line ... at the joint of the end of the cast iron line to the city ABS line and it is under the alley (outside of my property) ...

my questions:

Yes, I would suspect so, as the city will likely say its line is fine and yours is the one with the problem ... and I do not know the answers to your other questions.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
roots

In most cases it is your responsibility until it reaches the city main in the center of the alley.

(2) Is hydro-jetting the best method for root removal? and can the pipe be sealed from further intrusion?

It is the most expensive way, snaking is usually just as efficient. There is no inexpensive way to seal the pipe. Just snake it when it stops up. When you have to snake it every 9 to 12 months, then it will be time to replace it.

(3) Will taking out the offending plant (likely an oleander bush directly above) solve the problem?

It MAY cure the problem about 25 years after you remove them, but not likely until then, and even that may not be a long enough time period. I have had customers with root problems from trees they forgot had even been there.

thanks

Prashster

Reaction score
There is a way to permanently seal the pipe. But I'm sure it's expensive. Basically, it involves epoxy sealing the inside of the pipe using a bladder that's airshot thru the pipe. Saw it on TOH.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks